Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwalker Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Indirect Discrimination
    Does anyone know if the following constitutes indirect discrimination:

Restricting promotion to staff who are full-time and permanent by hiring contract staff for the major projects whilst permanent staff are restricted to the low key administrative projects.

I work in the Information Technokogy Industry and my company has a lot of contractors in key roles. Many of the contractors have been in key roles for many years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Discrimination does not mean it is illegal, if they are not promoting people because of race, because of sex, or sexual preference, or aga or religion. Then it is illegal discrimination.

If they merely want to hire contract labor instead of full time employee labor they can do that. I know many companies that hire almost no actual employees, I know one that don't hire any actual employee but all are contract.

So I doubt if it is anything illegal.
    gwalker Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Discrimination does not mean it is illegal, if they are not promoting people because of race, because of sex, or sexual preference, or aga or religion. Then it is illegal discrimination.

If they merely want to hire contract labor instead of full time employee labor they can do that. I know many companies that hire almost no actual employees, I know one that don't hire any actual employee but all are contract.

so I doubt if it is anything illegal.

It is not illegal but what is annoying is that we are made to prepare development plans every year and these plans are always ignored. Very few women in this organization (very large public company) have advanced beyond the level of personal assistant and those of us who have and have expressed an interest in career development are treated as if we have some type of disease. I have constantly asked to be given training to become a certified I.T project manager and written this is my development plan. This is ignored. I have asked to be put on projects where they have only contractors and again my request has been ignored.
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 7, 2007, 02:41 PM
    I suggest contacting your state's Attorney General's office to see if you have a case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discrimination or what? [ 7 Answers ]

My friend is having a real serious problem at her job. About 6 months ago, she went into a new position at her workplace, where she has been 8 years now. She is the plant/office secretary. Three months after she was there, they moved her (and her helper) from her office into a broom closet, or at...

Allocating Indirect Manufacturing Overhead Costs [ 1 Answers ]

Hans Sorensen, controller of Franklin Production, has the choice of allocating indirect manufacturing cost using either Direct manufacturing labour hours or manufacturing machine hours. If he uses labour hours for the month of January, Product A receives $312,000 in manufacturing overhead charges...

CASH FLOW INDIRECT METHOD (I will appreciate any effort) [ 2 Answers ]

here is the question : balance sheet assets 2002 2001 cash 29000 13000 accounts receivable 28000...

Indirect waste to floor drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a large mostly glass, indoor garden room and would like to add a basin of some sort to soak plants, water orchids (most of the water drains off), etc. I have easy access to a water supply but no drain. Directly below the garden room is the boiler and hot water tank on a concrete floor with...

Is This Discrimination ? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a quick question. I live in FL, and a friend of mine was fired because her boss said that she didn't fit in to the 4 person office she was working at. I told her that it is because is was the only black female there. Everyone else was white. She was there only 3 or 2 weeks and her boss had...

View more questions Search