Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chardel Posts: 93, Reputation: 13

Sep 16, 2013, 07:45 PM
    Body jewlery rejection
    Hey All!
    My daughter has had her navel pierced twice now. The piercings went without a hitch, very little pain and seemed to heal well. At about a month after the first piercing her navel became inflamed, and appeared to develop an abscess. First time it happened she simply took out the jewelry, waited for the abscess to surface, then allowed it to heal. She waited several months to have it re-pierced. Once again the same thing, all was well, no swelling, irritation, seemed to be healing well. Now that we have hit the 6 week mark there is now all of the above and it appears to be developing another abscess.
    Ok, now that I have explained all of that... Is this her body rejecting the jewelry? The piece she has in the piercing is surgical steel, should I consider either plastic, silver or gold?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 16, 2013, 08:12 PM
    This is something you should really discuss with her doctor. There's no way to diagnose what's going on online. It could be an infection, it could be allergies (although those should show up sooner than 6 weeks after the piercing), it could be that her belly button is not ideal for that sort of piercing (not everyone can get a belly button piercing, in fact the majority of people can't because of the shape of their bellybutton). It could be many things. We can only guess.

See a doctor.
    Chardel Posts: 93, Reputation: 13

Sep 16, 2013, 08:21 PM
    Thanks Alty. I appreciate your quick reply! I will be making an appointment with the doctor as soon as possible but... it usually takes 3 months or more just to get in to see the guy... (sigh) If it gets bad enough I will take her to the ER. But she is just soooo determined to have this piercing!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 17, 2013, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chardel View Post
    Thanks Alty. I appreciate your quick reply! I will be making an appointment with the doctor as soon as possible but... it usually takes 3 months or more just to get in to see the guy... (sigh) If it gets bad enough I will take her to the ER. but she is just soooo determined to have this piercing!
    I can understand that. I'm not a doctor, but I have 3 friends that have tried to get a bellybutton piercing, and all of them have failed, and it's around the same time frame as what you described. One friend had it done 5 times, and at around the 2 month mark she'd get what seemed to be an infection, then the piercing would literally push itself out, or she'd be forced to take it out because of the pain.

She went in a sixth time, this time to a highly recommended professional piercer, and she was told that she'd never ever get her wish. Her bellybutton, the shape of it, is not conducive to piercing. So she stopped wasting her time and money.

But, I can't say for sure that's what's going on here. I can tell you that my friend was told, by this professional piercer, that the majority of people that come in for a bellybutton piercing, will not be able to get one because of the shape, or type of bellybutton they have.

Good luck. :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2013, 07:41 PM
    Abscesses caused by piercings are becoming very common. Tongue piercing being the worst because it is causing abscesses in the brain. Also she may be allergic to whatever metal the ring is made of, although the most common for first piercings is the hypoallergenic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jewlery theft over 5000 [ 16 Answers ]

I am 19 year old female with no criminal record. I made the mistake of stealing around 5600 dollars worth of jewlery. They are considering pressing charges. I gave the jewlery back and wrote an apology letter. There is also no evidence other than my confession. What can be the outcome of this?

Starter Jewlery [ 0 Answers ]

What would be a good website to buy starter jewelry off?

How do you get your jewlery design idea made? [ 2 Answers ]

I have what I think is a great jewlery design idea but I have no idea:confused: how to create it or tell a jewlery seller about it. Please help me figure out how to do this :)

Do I have a market in the you.S for fancy and low cost jewlery items [ 2 Answers ]

We are maing fancy and low cost jewely items. My question is do we have a market (demand) in the US for fancy and low cost jewelry items?

View more questions Search