Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MaGiC_DaN90 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2008, 01:55 PM
    I'm looking to become a zoologist. How do I start?
    I'm currently in high school and I am interested in getting into zoology.
    I like working with animals, and a job at the zoo or saving/rescuing animals
    Sounds fun!

How do I get started and what degrees are available for this field?

Thanks guys,
    -MaGiC_DaN90
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 03:14 PM
    I'm not totally sure but I have some friends who want to do that and they described it too me at one point in time. Logically you first take all the science classes you can in high school... every little bit helps even volunteering at a humane society or zoo. And then find a good college that offers a degree program in zoology or perhaps even a biology or pre-vet. Med. Program. After this I'd suggest going to a graduate school to get a phd.
    After that I'm a little fuzzy but I found some links that might be helpful... How To Become a Zoologist | eHow.com, Zoologist Job Description, Career as a Zoologist, Salary, Employment - Definition and Nature of the Work, Education and Training Requirements, Getting the Job, Zoologist

Good luck on your future endeavors!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 12:47 AM
    Hi Magic,
    A zoologist is anyone who studies animals. Usually, they are researchers who study animals in the wild or in the lab, not people who work in zoos. A zoo might employ a zoologist or even a few of them if it is a large zoo. But most of the people who work at zoos are caretakers, veterinarians, and administrators. I think if you are specifically interested in zoo animals, you should offer to volunteer at the nearest zoo if you live in a city. If not, see if you can arrange to volunteer at a city zoo next summer.
    Meanwhile, study biology and anything else that interests you. And keep up with high school math to keep your options open. You might find that you are interested in other careers that involve animals.

I have a graduate degree in zoology if you have more questions.
    tkald Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Sep 8, 2008, 07:20 AM
    I am a zookeeper of 12 years who is now a stay-at-home-mom (for now).

Get a biology degree and once in college, or even now, don't take a job without it being related to the animal field. That was the best advice I got when I worked as an intern at a zoo. Do some internships or volunteer at a shelter now. Then do your best to get some paid internships at a local zoo during the summers during college. While in college, take herpetology/plant tax/animal taxonomy/microbiology classes. Also, any education classes would be good too, because a lot of being a zookeeper is educating the public.

There are also places like Santa Fe Community College in Gainesville, Florida and Moorpark College in California that teach zookeeping as a career.

Good luck!
    Giuliano Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2010, 04:06 AM
    I am Italian Biologist-Zoologist.

I am DrSc in Biological-Zoological Sciences in Italy and then specialized in Tropical Zoology-Biology and Ecoptahology of Wild Life in England and France.

Zoologist instead has been always the driving force of all Zoological Gardens, Zoosafary, Zooparks, Aquatic-Marine Park, Aquarium, Natural Parks.

Since 10 years (after my thesis of MSc on Rhinocerus reproductive Biology Ceratotherium simum and DrSc in Biology-Zoology in Ecopathology of Casuario bennet) I have been enrolled in Zoological Gardens in France to work with great carnivores (Panthera leo, Panthera java trigres) and dolphin, pinnipedes (sea lions, seal: Phoca vitulian, Phoca pusilla) and presently I am scientific director in France of private Zoo associated with EAZA society where there are Carnivores, Elephants, rhinoceros, hippopotamus, giraffes, ratides birds (Ostrich, casuarius, emù, nandù) aquatic birds (pelican, swan, flamingos) aquatic mammals:seal, sea lions, elephant lions, dolphins, reptiles: loricates -alligators, crocodiles- turtles -terrestrial, aquatic- and snakes -python, boa, anacond, venous snake, iguanes- and fishes -sturgeons, elasmobranch, piranas- and several invertebrates.

So, I know almost 800 Zoos in Europe from Berlin, London, Rome, Paris Zoos that are great and complexes structures until little zoos, I know scientific directors and workers I can say you that (I have passion for History of Zoological Gardens, Zoosafary, Zoopark, Aquatic-Marine Park, Natural Parks) that since 1700 where in Europe was born first Zoological Gardens today all scientific directors and workers must have a degree in Biology-Zoology, in Europe all people that want have a work with exotic animals must go to University before, to take graduation in Biology specialization in Zoology (6 years, 40 exams) and then can work in these structures, this is the law in all Governments of Common Europe (Italy, France, Spain, UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Ireland, Belgium, Netherland, Portugal etc. ), veterinarians can work in Zoos only if they have specialization in exotic animals (if they are specialized in domestic animals or farm animals are not take in consideration much to work in a Zoo) but must work under Zoologists control and working only for animal health but because don' t have scientific preparation in ecology, ethology-zoo-architecture cannot work in conservation biology and captive breeding, also animal nutrition and zoo-architecture are fields only of Biologists-Zoologists, not for veterinarians that can work only in surgery and medication. The same for marine Park where the principal work is for Marine Biologists, all animals on this planets and plants have been discovered by Biologists Zoologists and Biologists Botanists.

People that don' t have degree in Biology-Zoology, can work in Zoos (in Europe) only to forage animals and clean cages and animal spaces or like guide to visitors, but to work like pedagouge you must have the same degree in Biology Zoology-Boatany.

So I advise you to take degree at University in Biology Zoology since Zoologist is the driving force of Zoological Gardens, Zoosafary, Zooparks, Aquatic-Marine Parks, Natural Parks.

I hope to be of helpful,

DrSc Giuliano Russini
    (DrSc Biologist Zoologist, Zoobiologist, Zootechnician-Ecopathologist wild life)
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 07:52 AM

Thanks for correcting my errors and giving such a thorough and clear answer to this question. Many students ask this question. So it's great to have your answer.

And welcome to Ask Me Help Desk!

PS. I spent two days at the Jardin des Plantes last fall and became interested in its history. A history of zoological gardens would make an interesting book.

Jan 22, 2010, 09:19 AM
    You are welcome,

Jardin des Plantes is beautiful Zoological Gardens like is wonderful Paris, I worked there for one year, in this Zoos studied Jean Bapstiste Comte de Lamark French Biologist and scientific father of Acquired Characters during XVI century and first to understand that living things don't disappear and arise suddenly but are in constant transformation since are in develop and are dynamic not stable like minerals and stones. From this scientist Charles Darwin found inspiration for his theory "On the Origin of Species by natural selection" and Jardin des Plantes has been directed by another french Biologist Buffon during 1600 first to think that animals is a kingdom separated from Plants another kingdom and then there are Protists kingdom, Monera kingdom and Bacteria and last kingdom minerals.

So for any enquiries, don' t hesitate to contact me at also.

See you,

Giuliano
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 11:47 AM

I am huge fan of Lamarck and Buffon. They don't get enough credit for their contributions. (But I don't like Cuvier!)

Jan 23, 2010, 03:38 AM
    Well, I agree in side, Cuvier was a Paleonthologist so have had academic studies in paleonthology and geology no in Biology Zoology like Buffon, Lamarck in fact he had not contributed to develop of animal biology, Zoology, Physiology or Embryology, but only fossil studies. Anyway he has been strong paleonthologist. Thus, for example I am not so enthusiast in relation to Charles Darwin since I think (but himself said this on his book) that some several biological phenomenons cannot be explained (or at least find hard adaptation to his theory of evolution) with natural selection, but find solution (or at least find better adaptation of Lamarck theory) with acquired characters for example, hemo-hybrids vegetative in example has been demonstrated that in white geese that transfuse blood in them of black geese (the same with swan, sheep and hares) after several trials (in relation to animal species and volume of plasma-blood transfuse) arise black feathers among white feathers in white pure geese and swan and region of black hairs in the pure white sheep (merionos), rabbit, hares. Then mating this changed (acquired characters) animals with (female or male in relation if has been male or female to transfuse blood) pure line animals (geese, swan, sheep, rabbit, hare white) will be on offspring (F1-F2-F3-F4 generations) an improvement of black feathers and black hair animals, so to reach percentage of offspring at F4 generation in geese and swan of 60 % with black feathers (respect white) and in sheep, rabbits, hare 65 % with black hair in their mantles. >This cannot be explained with C Darwin theory and the same Darwin considered these case particular situation that find a better solution with lamarck thoery. The problem is that today if you say that probably would be right try to consider Lamarck theory and Darwin Theory together to look forward the living thing, at least in Italy, and other European countries considered crazy and like shaman.

I advice you Pierre Paul Grassé great French Biologist Zoologist during XIII and first side of XX century proposed original ideas.

Have a nice day,
    See you,
    Giuliano
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2010, 12:00 PM

I am a writer and would like to write about this at some point. I confess, I didn't follow everything you wrote. Do you have citations for the information about feather and fur color? Sounds really interesting. I think you are talking about eco/evo devo stuff.

A lot of people have argued that the central dogma disproved lamarckism, but we now know that the central dogma was wrong.

We are shamelessly hijacking this thread. Probably should start a new one about lamarckism.

Cheers,
    asking

Jan 24, 2010, 03:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    I am a writer and would like to write about this at some point. I confess, I didn't follow everything you wrote. Do you have citations for the information about feather and fur color? Sounds really interesting. I think you are talking about eco/evo devo stuff.

A lot of people have argued that the central dogma disproved lamarckism, but we now know that the central dogma was wrong.

We are shamelessly hijacking this thread. Probably should start a new one about lamarckism.

Cheers,
    asking

Well, Asking, really I am not talking about evo-devo, really these animals treated with bplasma-blood transusion from animals with fether and hair black changed their coulr. I advice you a paper (you can put this title on Google and find this paper of 2008 and it is very interesting -tomorrow I can furinsh more detaile in relation of number and Journal, anyway the title is "New perspective on Darwin' s Pangenesis" 2008) my point view and of some others is to consider a role of "SOMA" more important respect that assigned in these centuries where DNA is considered the only regulator of development and morphology modelling.

So for eaxample, to me connective tissues have communication with epithelial tissuis during embryo development like Grobstain demonstred on kidney development (induction) but, if I do a diturb (experiment where iduce disturbance) during this interaction, I don' t find DNA modification, but alterated pathway of development.
    So, the same with plants if I ( I don' t know word in English right, innest?) do an innest (like do Biologist -Boatanists, Agronomist, Farmer) between two plants (Apple tree, Orange tree) I find that tree that receive innest don' t change Genome constitution, and tree that have furnished sample of tree (for example orange) don' t changed its Genome and number of chromososmes (So to be clear, Apple tree maintain regular number of chromosomes and cells of Orange tree mantai iun the region of innest their normal numeber of chromosomes, DNA-Genome no modified for both, but this new tree produce apples and oranges, so acquired characters and can be transmitted at new generation obatina from seeds of this palant so has been modified SOMA not genome).

Tomorro I send your detail of this papre or if you have specific e-mail address I send you a copy.
    Cheer,
    Giuliano

Jan 25, 2010, 08:53 AM

Dear Asking,

I seen this moment that last time (For information problems, maybe) had not published my answer for you. Anyway, I re-write my answer that could be of interest for you. So, the experiment above described really are not side or find explanation with evo-devo theory, since this new emrging discipline is a fusion between Development Biology (Embryology, Molecular Biology, Moleculat Genetic and Genetic) with Evolution Biology. But the focus of this discipline is always (unfortunately, sigh!! Since I consider really restricted an idea funded only on proteins and genes, but probalby depend that I am Zoobiologist, Zoologist and so I have Holistic approach like that of Ecology-Ecopathology) genes, proteins and DNA, at last chromatin and cells.

Really experiments above described, recall at light of Zoology-Zoophysiology-Plant Physiology and reproductive Biology-Embryology Mincurian Theories, Lamarckian Theories and in side Darwin Theories (since many supporters of Darwin, and natural selection theory, dose not t know or hide that same Charles Darwin had recognized theory of Lamarck powerful and that some biological mechanisms impact positively with it) so to summary, in these experiments and theories it is the SOMA add actor other that genome. Generally Molecular and Cell Biologists, like also physicians and veterinarians don' t have consideration and trust in SOMA, but many other groups like Biologist Zoologists and Biologist Botanists recognize a fundamental role on the SOMA (for example, connective tissues like blood, mesenchima are essential during embryo development for blood and vscular formation and same blood pressure, acting on blood is essential for cells blood formation and Cardiovascular system ripe).

Another great Scientist Ivanov Ivanovich Iavanov has been one of former Biologist (He funded fisrts Zootechnical Institute during 1830, at Saint Pietroburgo, Russia for equine artificial insemination) that generated get born of horses from Zebra (transferring Embryos of horse into uterine environment of zebra and generating hybrides Zebra-Horse inseminating mare with semen of stallion-Zebra male, but the percentage don' t corresponding with Mendel rates and there are not modification (integration, deletion, duplication) on DNA resulting. But these mechanisms are not explainable also by means epi-genetic processes, since there are not altered pathways of methilation (CH3) on islands of Guanine and Cytosine (m-GC) that is typical of epigenetic processes.

So I advice you this paper "A new perspective on Darwin's Pangenesis
    Authors: Yongsheng Liu, Biological reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society. 01/06/2008; 83(2):141-9.

See you,

Giuliano
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the reference, Giuliano. I am hard at work today, so cannot write at length. But this is great to have. Thanks! I looked it up and found the abstract. Don't have the paper itself yet. I am unfortunately not able to understand everything you are writing. The zebra story is not making sense to me. I do know a bit about embryology. More later.

Jan 25, 2010, 10:06 AM

Don' t worry, me too, I found a window of time to answer at some e-mails and so I sent you paper' s title.

Will discuss in future if you want on embryological aspects.
    See you later I must start the round to check animals in Zoo.
    Giuliano
    marhaba7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 05:40 PM
    Where did you graduate? I want to be a zoologist but I can't find any affordable colleges that have zoology as a major.
    hayes93 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2013, 06:57 PM
    So I was wondering if you enjoy your job? I mean do you get to work with animals a lot?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn mower won't start , changed Plug , but Still won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My lawn mower won't Start , I tried Changing the Plug , But still won't Start

Can't start my Poulan chainsaw. Start rope too hard to pull. [ 1 Answers ]

Can't start my chainsaw because the start rope is too hard to pull out. Pulling the rope causes a jerky action.

Tractor won't start with key - but I can jump starter to start [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a used Ford 1210 compact tractor and it will not start with the key. I replaced the switch and still no luck. Tested the safety switch & wire that goes to the starter and both are in good order (verified with ohm meter). When I try to start with the key, the lights dim some so I can see...

View more questions Search