Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HVACmike Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Ceiiling fan bracket worn out?
    It is a 2002 Harbor Breeze[/YOUTUBE] 42" not a hugger and it seams to be "comming" loose from the bracket. I don't know why it has a bunch of screws in it. I will try to post pics I'm new here.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 06:27 PM

Does this video help show how its is supposed to be installed?

Jan 12, 2010, 06:49 PM

ballengerb1- the video on YouTube shows the fan and the problem when I upload the video I will post the URL on AMHD.

Jan 12, 2010, 07:40 PM

My bad, lst my link. Here it is YouTube - How to Install a Ceiling Fan : How to Install Screw for a Down Rod for a Ceiling Fan

Jan 13, 2010, 07:45 AM

ballengerb1 I will check it out
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 08:08 AM

Mike,

I can't see the you tube link yet.

Does it appear as if the "Jbox" that the fan is mounted to in the ceiling is being pulled down out of the ceiling?

If so, the fan will have to be removed, the Jbox needs to come out and you would need to install a fan and Jbox mounting bracket. These are available at any big box hardware store.

The fan probably replaced a light fixture and the existing Jbox was not listed for the weight of a fan.

Jan 13, 2010, 08:16 AM

YouTube - start up of my 2002 Harbor Breeze ceilling fan here is the fan. There was a light fixture that we changed to this fan back in 2006 when we bought the house, this problem started in 2007.

Jan 13, 2010, 08:35 AM

Mike,

I would start by turning off the fan and then removing the fan blades. This will give you access to the canopy surrounding the bracket. Those small brass screws (3) attach the canopy to the upper bracket.

Slide the canopy down and examine the bracket and J Box. More than likely, the weight and vibration from the fan is causing the existing j box to pull its mounting nails loose.

I would suggest you remove the old j box and get a fan mounting kit that is listed for the weight of the fan.

Remember the existing j box was only designed to hold the weight of the light fixture and not the wight and vibration from a fan.

Jan 13, 2010, 09:44 AM

donf I will do that. I will replace the j box and replace it. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2010, 09:49 AM

Be sure to pick up the fan hanger and jbox kit.

Jan 13, 2010, 05:55 PM

donf I will remove the fan and a new kit! Thanks!!
    ----------
    Mike

Jan 13, 2010, 07:44 PM

Hard to tell until you get the canopy down. The fan may be installed wrong and was never in a proper box OR it may just need a few attaching screws. Trouble with fans is many folks take down a light and install a fan, that's not the way to do it since the box is not strong enough for a fan. A fan rated box must be used and if between rafters a fan hanger that expanse to lock between the rafters. RACO ADJUSTABLE STEEL BAR HANGER 920 RACO INC

Jan 14, 2010, 02:12 PM

ballengerb1 I live in a manufactured home converted to a house and I have no attic, but I will take the canopy down and look and c what the problem iz! I will keep you all updated! Mike
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:41 AM

Take pictures, please.

Feb 27, 2010, 07:07 PM

ceilingfanrepair I shall do that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

My harbor breeze ceiling fan stopped working is there e a reset switch or fuse? Remote and breaker are fine:confused:

Ceiling fan bracket on uneven plaster [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Got another question on ceiling fans. I've got a hampton bay fan in my 2nd bedroom, and there are two things bothering me : 1) the depth of the ceiling opening is more than the height of the fan-rated junction box that's in there. The box is currently installed with side tabs on the...

Fan Mounting Bracket does not fit Electrical box [ 9 Answers ]

I have bought a Habor Breeze Fan to replace an existing older Fan in my kitchen . . . But the "Mounting Bracket" that came with this new Fan, will not fit the ' screw holes' that are in the existing ceiling round Electrical Outlet box, the Habor Breeze Mounting Bracket screw holes are about a...

Hampton bay fan blade bracket [ 1 Answers ]

Have a Hampton Bay Mediterranean ceiling fan, and have a broken fan blade bracket. Where can I locate a replacement?

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Light Bracket [ 1 Answers ]

The 2-pronged metal bracket which holds the light globe in place - where can I find this?

View more questions Search