jean99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Lead poison
    Was paint with lead used on old models
    Of matchbox cars?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2006, 03:19 PM
    Probably. This has been asked before but it's not a published "record" to confirm so or to confirm that period of years that it was.

Are you asking regarding children playing with them? If so, how old are they and what is the condition of the paint on the cars? Any chipping, etc?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2006, 03:48 PM
    If I may, since there is a question on if they did or not, can I ask that don't take any chances and keep them away from small kids. Put them in a case and seal them off from anyone coming in contact.

This is only because of the experience we had with my son when 3-4 years old. He had the misfortune of being the kid with the highest lead count in the city of 100,000 population. He did not get it from Matchbox, at least I don't think, but proven to be caused by the finishes in our first apartment.

Then came the learning disabilities, Tourette's Syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive Behavior, and peer pressure. Not all are officially proven to be related to lead poisoning, but try to tell me that.

BTW he is fine at 28, it was a long haul thou, but that's another story. The warnings are valid, keep lead away from everyone. If is is important, there are firms that can test them for a nominal fee.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 23, 2006, 12:03 AM
    I was not able to find any conclusive information either. Matchbox had recalled Voltron robot toys made in Taiwan as far back as the mid 80's for this reason. Though the majority, made in Japan, were apparently safe.
    Speaking from personal experience -- growing up in the 70's, I had a great deal of them, and despite heavy use, they generally looked new as the day they were bought. My older brother on the other hand, had a bucket of them, in terrible shape, much of the paint worn off clear down to the metal. I suspect these were primarily manufactured sometime around the early 60's, possibly some from the 50's, likely not all Matchbox or Hot Wheels, and I have little doubt that some of them were probably finished with lead paint. I rarely handled them though, so can't speak as for having suffered any noticeable effects.
    Better to play it safe though, if they do show signs of serious paint wear.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Hi,
    I agree with your answers, and they are good.
    Most paints, from years and years ago, contained lead.
    Even though research may not prove or disprove certain manufacturer's paints, or products, stay on the safe side; assume it does contain lead.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a home remedy that can be used to dry up poison ivy quickly? [ 7 Answers ]

Is there any home remedy that my son can use to dry up poison ivy Blisters quickly? It seems to be spreading.

Poison Oak Prevention [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I went hiking Friday night with a close, intimate friend and he contracted severe poison oak about a day later. I didn't get any poison oak from this, but I was wearing jeans and long-sleeves. He had shorts and short-sleeves on. So while I most likely did not develop it from the plant, I...

Natural Poison Oak Prevention? [ 1 Answers ]

I tend to have delayed reactions to skin irritants and am concerned about very likely poison oak exposure. (The other person I was hiking with got very severe poison all over his body and we were hiking the same place.) It's possible I do not react to poison oak at this point or that my long...

Poison Sumac... Tree [ 5 Answers ]

I previously cut down a tree and prepared it for firewood. That next spring the stump started to grow and we realized that it was poison sumac! I never knew they grew into trees! I have determined that I have another one about 25' on my property that I intend to take down. My question is how...

View more questions Search