Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alan_H Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2004, 12:55 PM
    New construction floor drain
    We just broke ground on our first new home construction. We plan to do many of the sub-contractor jobs ourselves.

One job that is coming up soon is the need to setup the basement floor drain which will be for mainly for gray water from the central air condenser (no bathrooms or laundry). I have not been able to find exact information of what we need for the floor drain.

Here is what I believe we need:
    We will have a gray water pit in the basement floor with a pump to pump the water out to the public sewer line.
    For the floor drain we will have a drain connected to a trap with 2" PVC from the trap running into the gray water pit. All of this will be placed under the basement floor before it is poured.

Am I missing anything (back flow preventer, etc.) or would this be what we need for the floor drain setup?

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 2, 2004, 03:20 PM
    Re: New construction floor drain
    Hey Alan,  You aren't missing a thing on your floor drain layout.   However you will need a backflow preventer on the gray water  discharge line just ahead of the pump to prevent backflow after the pump shuts off.  Good luck, Tom
    Alan_H Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2004, 01:45 PM
    Re: New construction floor drain
    I installed my basement floor drain with a 2" trap and 2" PVC into a premade sewage pit.
    The local plumbing inspector red flagged it and said there was no vent after the trap.

I have not talked directly with the inspector yet but my question is. The pit lid has two opening one for a vent and another for the ejection pipe. I did not put any pipes into these holes because the basement floor has not even been poured yet.
    Does he mean he wants to me to put a length of PVC pipe into the vent hole of the pit or does he mean I need to add a "T" in the 2" pipe between the trap and pit and add a vent in the middle?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.
    Alan
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 12, 2004, 03:31 PM
    New construction floor drain
    Hi Allen, With a 2" trap the vent must be within 5' of the trap. If you're closer then that you should be able to vent from the hole in the tank. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

SpeedBall1, Your help in the pass have been very helpful and appreciated. I got one quick question for you: I want to replace my rusted floor drain with a new plastic one, just that simple... however it looks like the old rusted 2 inch floor drain has a vent 1/2 inch pipe attached to left...

Floor Drain Help [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I have a house that was built around 1948. It is a two story house with a basement. In the basement the floor drain has been backing up recently. My instinct is to snake the floor drain. However, I want to understand the function of the various pipes before I begin. I have attached a...

Sewer Drain Location in New Construction [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know about any rules regarding the location of the sewer drain location. For instance, min distance from a window, etc. Thanks, Peter

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search