Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wake_Forest_Buckeye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2006, 07:23 PM
    Kenmore Elite Dryer won't heat
    I have a heavy duty Kenmore Elite dryer for about 5 years (bought new) but it doesn't heat now. Power works fine. The inside part turns/tumbles fine. Light works when you open the door. We clean lint out each time. Just doesn't heat on any of the dial settings. I've switched power at the circuit breaker off & on.

It's an electric dryer. Model number 110.60932990

Is it likely the heating element? If not, what is the most likely problem? My gut feel says it would be cheaper to repair than buy a whole new unit. Repair shops aren't open yet, but I have to figure it would be a minimum service charge of $60 for anyone to come look at it.

Recommendations?

Thanks!
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Yes, most likely the element.Check it for continuity. If it has none it is bad. Still, replacing it is a whole lot cheaper than repacing the unit.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Jun 3, 2006, 07:08 PM
    It could be the heater, but there are several other possibilities as well. The heater is located behind the lower front panel on the right side. It is inside a metal tube. If you have a volt/ohm meter, you can disconnect the two red wires that are connected to the heater and check it for continuity. If you don't have one, you can simply remove the heater and see if it's broken somewhere. If it's not broken, it's not bad. It's been my experience over the last 15 years that these heaters don't usually fail all that often. It's more common to have a heater box cutoff open due to a restricted vent system. If the heater is okay, you can eliminate the other components by a process of elimination if you want to get into it. Let me know.
    recherman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2006, 09:02 AM
    I had problem with a dryer that wouldn't heat but everything else seemed to work. I found that my breaker in my breaker box had tripped, but only one leg had tripped, so the dryer would run but not heat. You check that as well as making sure you have voltage at the heat element.
    I found a place to buy parts for my kenmore very cheap. Cheap appliance parts . Com
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Aug 6, 2006, 09:32 AM
    I have heard something about using dryer sheets that can cause the heating unit not to work. Try cleaning your lint trap with hot soapy water and seeing what it does. I know it's probably a long shot, but hey it is a cheep long shot right?
    kathy9999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake_Forest_Buckeye
    I have a heavy duty Kenmore Elite dryer for about 5 years (bought new) but it doesn't heat now. Power works fine. The inside part turns/tumbles fine. Light works when you open the door. We clean lint out each time. Just doesn't heat on any of the dial settings. I've switched power at the circuit breaker off & on.

It's an electric dryer. Model number 110.60932990

Is it likely the heating element? If not, what is the most likely problem? My gut feel says it would be cheaper to repair than buy a whole new unit. Repair shops aren't open yet, but I have to figure it would be a minimum service charge of $60 for anyone to come look at it.

Recommendations?

Thanks!
    How to replace the heating element in a kenmore elite dryer
    koromili Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by applguy
    It could be the heater, but there are several other possibilities as well. The heater is located behind the lower front panel on the right side. It is inside a metal tube. If you have a volt/ohm meter, you can disconnect the two red wires that are connected to the heater and check it for continuity. If you don't have one, you can simply remove the heater and see if it's broken somewhere. If it's not broken, it's not bad. It's been my experience over the last 15 years that these heaters don't usually fail all that often. It's more common to have a heater box cutoff open due to a restricted vent system. If the heater is okay, you can eliminate the other components by a process of elimination if you want to get into it. Let me know.
    I change the heating elament and now works only for 2-3 minutes gos to cool off and shuts down the pans and shirts not dry
    koromili Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by koromili
    i change the heating elament and now works only for 2-3 minutes gos to cool off and shuts down the pans and shirts not dry
    What can be the problem
    chhinckley24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 09:06 AM
    I have a Kenmore Elite dryer that doesn't heat now. Power works fine. The inside part turns/tumbles fine. Light works when you open the door. Replace ignitor and cleaned all vents. Just doesn't heat.

It's an electric dryer. Model number 110.73022101

Recommendations?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 11:05 AM
    You replaced an ignitor on an electric dryer?
    steelx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 12:49 PM
    I seem to have the same tumbling-but-not-heating problem. I've had the thermal fuse replaced about 3 times now from a mechanic, but it blew out again. My vents are recently cleaned and perfectly fine. I can look up the metal tubing and see the light from the opening on my roof, and I climbed onto my roof and felt a full strength outflow. The mechanics keep blaming the vents, and the company is threatening to not send any more people out to constantly replace the thermal fuse. But the vents are not the problem. What could it be?
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Thermal fuses blow because of poor air flow. If the vent is clean have you checked the blower assembly area? Is the blower motor running up to full speed? Check this area
    gerry619 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 06:29 PM

I have a kenmore elite dryer that won't heat it
    Won't heat up I think is the heating elemetnt that is bad how do I check if is bad
    lanalee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 02:01 PM
    I have the same problem, same model.. it started and the heat not working sometimes, and as of today, the dryer stopped turning. Not the electrice pannel in my house, not my outhlet, not the element, not the thermastate, now looking at the electrice pannel.
    SUcks because it<s such an excellent model. Newer models don<t compare in heat and speed and options. I don't like where the light is on the newer models..
    Frau447 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 01:46 PM
    The same thing happened to mine. I had to call for service from a local repair shop. It was the heating element... $125.00 later. :(
    ricjae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 02:29 PM
    Mine (110 6393210) stopped heating but the rest works. The repair guys was frustrated with the machine, but concluded that the motor is the source of the heaters issue. Something to do with a motor switch that supplies 1/2 the current needed to run the heater coil. He thinks it's not worth the fix. Thoughts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite Dryer - [ 3 Answers ]

My kenmore dryer starts the drying cycle then after about 2 - 5 minutes shuts off. It will restart after about 30 minutes. I have checked the thermal cut offs hi limit thermostats, etc. Any suggestions?

Kenmore Elite Gas Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Kenmore Elite Gas Dryer Runs But No Heat and Won't Dry Model No.110.70932990

Kenmore Elite Dryer won't dry thoroughly [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Dryer, approx 2 years old, its gets hot, tumbles and stops but the clothes are not completely dry (more dry setting). I have change the dryer hose, and I have also cleaned what I could inside of the lint bin (very hard to get into). As a result, I pulled out A lot of lint...

Kenmore Elite Dryer [ 3 Answers ]

From time to time, I am able to select my drying selections, load size and all the settings but when I push START it only "clicks" and will not start. Then the next day, it is like it "resets" itself and works fine. There seems to be no reason when or why this occurs. Is there any reason why...

Kenmore Elite Dryer Won't Heat on Timed Cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Dryer that is 4 years old. The dryer will not heat on the timed cycle, but it will heat on the Even Heat Cycle. The heating element will not com on when I have the timed cycle selected. On the Even Heat Cycle all of the temperature settings work. My dryer has a rotary...

View more questions Search