Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Playdeep Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2005, 04:57 PM
    Download Trojan...
    Hey guys,

I have had a virus on my computer for some time now and I knew where it was and never was able to get it removed, I didn't worry about it too much because it didn't seem to be doing much to my comp[uter and because I have spyware doctor, norton corporate, ad aware, search and destroy and xoftspy on my computer and use them regularly.
    The file is called mgniqnf.exe and is identified often by Norton as a doanload trojan that it doesn't seem to be able to remiove or quarentine... I have even gone to its location on the C: drive and delete it but it won't let me. (C:\WINDOWS\mgniqnf.exe) My computer about two weeks ago started (this is my laptop)or less started really bogging down when I have it on... takes forever to do simple operations and the cpu (when I pull up task manager) seems to be maxed out at 100% most of the time. I have tried many many different scans and really it seems like only norton sees it or admits that it is there. I even tried the trendmicro download and scan and it didn't see the trojan or at least definitely was not able to get rid of it. The laptop is useless in its present stage since it takes a very long time to do simple things. I lookedd around and tried ot find someone with the same randomly generated file name type of virus but to no avail so I tried to save you all time but in the end thought I would need to write my own post. Thoughts? Thanks... in advance.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 3, 2005, 05:28 PM
    Title
    :) Dude I kept getting this exe. Thing too that was screwing up my computer and I have norton. Norton doesn't do a darn thing but tell you it's there and then that's it. Somebody told me a good thing to try is the Yahoo antivirus and that its supposed to be faster but lets see what the others say.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 3, 2005, 05:57 PM
    If it's a trojan, try to delete the exe file, by following this procedure.

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring front the Task Manager. In the "Processes" list, click on the "mgniqnf.exe" and click "End task". When it's turned off, go to the directory, and remove the file (I'd just rename it for now).

Restart the computer and see if it's any better. If it's fine, you can choose to back up the file you renamed and go on using your computer, or you can just delete the renamed file.

After that, perhaps there's some info in System Registry about trying to automatically start the file you just deleted, and if you want to, I can give you explanations on how to locate and delete it, but this should do it. Also, try to download AVG Free Edition (there's a link in one of these threads) - it's freeware and it's virus database is updated frequently.

Dec 3, 2005, 06:12 PM
    When I went ot where it was located... it disappeared on me in front of my eyes... dang virus. And what are ohra.exe and msbi.exe?

I am not sure what to do since once I shut it off it disappeared before I could rename it or erase it.
    So I rebooted and it is not in the windows directory anymore... and it is missing from the task manager processes... but my computer is still running super slow... I will run a full scan now and get back to you all.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 3, 2005, 06:14 PM
    Playdeep, I feel for you on this issue.

Have you tried rescanning your machine while in safe mode as this loads a minimum set of drivers and hopefully should be able to remove the blighter ;)

BUT and it's a big but if this doesn't work your only course of action is a rebuild.
    I had a similar trojan with random files, as soon as I'd stopped one name then it changed to another. I chased it around for 2 whole days, throw every anti virus and spyware at it I could get my hands on and it still beat me.

Sometimes you just have to throw the towel in and admit defeat :(

Dec 4, 2005, 12:48 AM
    So I got rid of the random exe file but the computer its still super slow. I rebooted in the regular windows after getting rid of a folder called OHRA with a msbi.exe file in it in the program folder but it looks like it is back and won't let me erase it unless in safe mode. I tired both in safe mode and in regualr mode ot load and install the AVG free and it ges to the end and says one error. So I chekced th ehelp page for it and it says ot go to the program folder and uninstall and retry but when I go there there is no folder named wha tthey ask me to uninstall. Here is what I followed: (If the installation process fails when it tries to uninstall AVG6, cancel installation process and uninstall AVG6 manually: go to the Start menu -> Programs -> AVG6 Antivirus System -> Uninstall AVG item, and then run AVG Free installation again.)... anyways... who knows but I am sure it not good good for my processor tp be taxed like this this long...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2005, 06:09 AM
    Avg
    Hi,
    Normally, but not all the time, it's very hard to get two different Antivirus Programs to work, installed on the same computer. One of the notes given when installing Norton is to completely uninstall any other Antivirus Program first, to stop any "non-compatability" of files.
    Personally, I got rid of Norton a while back. I uninstalled all Norton from the Add/Remove Programs, then had to do some manual deleting of folders from Windows Explorer, and from the Registry.
    Then, I downloaded/installed AVG (I bought it; 33$ for two years), and since then, have had NO problems with Trojans or any other viruses. I highly recommend it over Norton (any versions).
    If I can find anything on these particular files you have posted, I will post back. Best of luck.

Dec 8, 2005, 09:48 PM
    I do think I got rid of some viruses with aVG free, but the 100% maxed out processor when it is just idling is still a concern. Thoughts?. the ohra folder with the msbi.exe is still hangin around though I shut it off in the task manager in processes andthen went to the prrogram folder and erased it. So we will see next time if it is still there.
    Thanks
    pyroman1435 Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Oct 26, 2007, 11:01 PM
    wow people have told me its bad to have so many anti virus programs on your computer.. just thought I would state that. =P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trojan Horse [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know too much about computers, but I have AVG free for virus control on my PC and in the virus vault it says there is two trojan horse exploits? How do I get these off my computer completely so they aren't even stored in the virus vault? How does one get these viruses?

Download trojan from hell, aurora popup etc [ 1 Answers ]

That would be me asking for all the help and may I say you all came through for me (I am not surprised) Anyway my poor computer got all jacked up and I decided to get some help from the big guns, MICROSOFT! After all I bought their software (not cheap) I had lost faith until this day They are...

Download Trojan From Hell! [ 5 Answers ]

OK, so the last few days I've been fighting with this download trojan. By the time Norton let me know about it, I had about 200 infected files and key registries. I have all of the security software you've listed in previous posts (except for spyware blaster and spybot, which I am downloading as I...

Trojan/agent-bn [ 1 Answers ]

hi have run x-soft on my PC and keep coming up with trojan /agent-bn its in the registry software/microsoft/windows/current version/internet settings /zonemap/domains/search softnet.com could someone please tell me what it is and how to get rid of it goldie

Trojan horse [ 5 Answers ]

I am running Outlook Express 6 on my Dell PC and have picked up a virus listed as c:\DOWNLOAD.EXE TROJAN HORSE. It has totally dis-abled "WORD" and despite uninstallinig it and re-installing it from a CD ROM I still can't get "WORD" to run. There must be millions out there with this problem. ...

View more questions Search