Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dinkins Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2006, 01:48 PM
    White powder under electric range burner
    We have an electric range, about 10 years old. Where one of the burner elements plugs in to the "socket" (under the stove top) there is a very fine white powder that collects under ONE of the element prongs. If we wipe it off, it forms again. It doesn't collect under the other prong of that element, and it doesn't form under the other burners (elements). The element looks fine, and the socket looks fine. Does anyone have any idea if one of these things needs to be replaced? The burner seems to work okay.

Thanks for any info.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 08:04 AM
    The plating on some of the contacts has gone bad and is oxidizing. You might be able to slow or stop it by cleaning both parts up good and putting a light coating of automotive dielectric grease on it. Don't know if it will take the heat of the stove or not.

You can buy a little tube of the grease in the tune up section of any auto store, maybe even Wal-Mart. It can be used other places needig a long lasting lube.

Oct 17, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Okay, thanks, labman.
    Kender Posts: 64, Reputation: 13

Oct 20, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Most ovens have a vent that is under one of the burners. Self cleaning leaves a white powder that can get into the vent and during cooking the powder will rise with the heat and accumlate under that burner

Oct 20, 2006, 07:53 PM
    Interesting to know, but it's the wrong burner and we don't use the self-cleaner.
    Thanks anyway, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Range [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my gas range oven has quit working. My wife tried to use it and the igniter didn't try to start the pilot. Let me explain a bit clearer: I have an older gas stove the top burners work okay but the other day the oven would not light so I checked to see if the pilot was lit and it was not lit....

G.E. Gas range [ 1 Answers ]

I need help, from a gas range repair tech. I need to replace the insulation that goes around the oven,top, sides, and back. A critter got in it and it now stinks bad! My question, can I use regular fibreglass insulation, the kind used in home's? If I remove the paper, or do I need to use the...

View more questions Search