Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Not-So-Handyman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Leaking Waterline from Refrigerator
    I have a new LG French Door Refrigerator and I am having problems with the waterline leaking. I installed the waterline in accordance to the directions on the packaging but the waterline is leaking from the tube connection to the saddle valve and the connection to the rear of the refrigerator. I went out and bought a replacement kit for it and that product leaked. Is there some sort of step in the installation process or some sort of sealer or adhesive that I should be using on the fittings to prevent them from leaking?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 07:06 AM
    There should be a furrow (compression ring) that is on the tubing. If you are using copper lines use the white plummers tape on the fittings

Sep 21, 2008, 07:50 AM

The water is leaking from the tube portion of the waterline making me think that it is a failure of the compression ring that is inside the fitting. What would solve that issue?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Yes, that's what I would think
    jdavid Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2008, 09:58 AM

You may not have applied enough pressure on the compression fitting to make it seal .Try tightening it more a little at a time and checking.You didn't say if the fitting is plastic or metal

Sep 22, 2008, 06:59 AM

The fitting is brass and the tube is plastic. Yes I tried tightening both ends a little at a time and that did not solve the issue.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Come on guys, you need a tubing insert for the plastic tubing, so the plastic tubing doesn't compress. If at all possible use a plastic ferrule. You leaks will stop. The hardware store has them.

http://hylokusa.thomasnet.com/viewit...plastic-tubing
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Without the insert you are stuck, it should have come with an insert, brass 3/8"long with a lip on one end.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 22, 2008, 09:01 PM

Do the manly thing, use copper tubing.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 09:33 PM

Apparently esquire1 was a little disgruntled with me today, so I'd like to share with you his email entitled "Jackass":

Quote Originally Posted by esquire1
    Sorry for my poor spelling. I always use tape on brass fittings. I am done helping others on this site. You so called "experts" know it alls always talk over the posters heads. I'll bet I've done more in the field than you could dream of. Over educated folks like you are always discouraging others. I've notice that you in particular seem to be an expert on every subject here. Doug
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 04:28 AM
    Hi all...

Geez I hate to see stuff like that Ron... especially when you nailed the answer to issue!

Like KISS said... if plastic tube then you need a brass tube insert to make connection water-tight.

In this case, you would slide the compression nut on first, slide compression sleeve on next and finally insert the tubing insert deep into tubing. Then you will tighten the compression nut to an appropriate tightness and test from there.

Compression fittings do not require teflon tape or pipe dope. The threads on the non-compression fittings, however, do require teflon tape or pipe dope... so please be clear on that NOT SO HANDY!

Anyway, after all is connected and tested be sure to attach the plastic tubing to the clamp provided on the back of the refridgerator... this is the ANCHOR or reaction point that is necessary to keep someone from pulling the tubing out of the fitting when someone moves refrigerator in or out of place.

Also, just a note or two...

Like Harold said, copper tubing is best here... plastic has a tendency to split lengthwise over time and cause microleaks.

We all frown on saddle valves as these also have a tendency to be an issue years down the road. If you have chance and you dare I would recommend replacing this valve... but that's up to you.

Let us know if need anything else NSH...

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire1 View Post
    There should be a furrow (compression ring) that is on the tubing. If you are using copper lines use the white plummers tape on the fittings
    You do not use Teflon Tape on ANY compression fitting. Period!! And here's the tubing insert that Doug,(Esquire) forgot to mention. And this guy criticizes us??
    Attached Images

Sep 23, 2008, 07:51 AM
    I am totally confused here. What the heck happened to this post, much of what has been said today just disappeared.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Bob.. I posted at 7:28 and I didn't see anything else but what is here now...

Did I miss something, too?

Sep 23, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Lots of posts re missing from yesterday. KISS and Esquire had words so some maybe the mods cleaned things up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refrigerator leaking [ 1 Answers ]

My refrigerator is leaking on the inside, water gathers on the bottom under the bins

Pvc waterline leak [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3/4 pvc water line with a hose bib outdoors. The water pipe is wrapped in pipe insulation and 16' of it runs through a concrete wall. Somewhere in the wall there is a slow leak, possibly in a fitting that didn't receive enough pipe glue. Iwas wondering if liquid radiator stop leak...

Air in home waterline [ 1 Answers ]

We just replaced the main waterline coming into the house about a month ago- no problems. When we flush or turn the water on now there is much vibration- potentially air in the lines. How can we fix this?

Refrigerator leaking [ 4 Answers ]

My refrigerator is leaking. Seems like it starts at the freezer and water slowly floods each shelf. Do I need a new refriderator?

View more questions Search