Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amoore922 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2019, 02:00 PM
    No Cold Water in entire house
    We live in a manufactured home. We have always dealt with calcium buildup in our house. We had fine water pressure one afternoon we lost it all water pressure to the cold side in entire house. We still have hot water. If we are running hot water in one part of the house and the cold side is one then hot water water will come into the lines. We have tried to put vinegar into the lines to break up the calcium, but it hasn't worked. We tried to blow out the water lines but couldn't get anything to work. Right now I can't afford a plumber is there anything that I can do to get my cold water to work?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 11, 2019, 05:44 AM
    How old is your house? There may be just a few clogged pipes, or there could be many, but it sounds like you have a big problem in the main water line that feeds the house. I am assuming your toilets and showers are affected also. Am I correct? You would certainly have to pin the problem down.

Whole house blockage of every fixture would indicate a clogged pipe closer to you main shut off wherever that may be. How many baths, is there a laundry room? Or could it be a FROZEN pipe? Where are you?

Another important question I have If you are getting hot water from the cold side what kind of pressure do you get? I have to tell you that that is a different issue altogether since if you cannot deliver cold water, how is the hot water delivered through a clogged pipe?

Right now I lean toward a frozen pipe and heat is the solution if you are in the middle of a cold spell. Please clarify for me. I await your further information.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2019, 03:21 PM
    If you have hot water then you have cold water into the home up to the hot water heater (cold feeds the hot water heater to make the water hot). After the cold water feeds into the water heater will be the next place to start. Here, go to the water heater and determine the cold water pipe that feeds the water heater. Follow the cold water pipe past the water heater (and AWAY from the water meter) and find the next fixture that gets fed by the cold water... see if cold water gets to that fixture. IF cold water does not come out of the fixture in question then check the shut off valve at that fixture (or in the basement where the pipe is before it brances off to this fixture) for water flow. If cold water flows at this fixture continue "walking" the cold water line until you find the first dead fixture and start to look for a clogged shut off valve or faucet.

This takes some simple investigation, a little common sense and some basic plumbing skills, so give it a shot... it really shouldn't be too hard to figure where the issue starts given the fact that you have hot water, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very Low Hot Water Pressure in entire house [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Please Help!! I have very very low hot water pressure in my whole house. I have flushed out my hot water heater and it came gushing out clear from the bottom of my hot water heater. I had a friend’s Dad come over and he tried something things to rule out possibilities. He took the...

Hot Water Low Pressure Entire House [ 7 Answers ]

I purchased my home 1 year ago and it is 6 years old. About 3 days ago, I noticed the hot water coming out of all faucets has low pressure. I checked the hot water heater valve and it is completely open. I'm sure there is build up of hard water (since our water is very hard) somewhere but was...

Low hot water pressure in entire house [ 0 Answers ]

I received information from a nice man on this site regarding replacement of some type of metal coupler things atop the hot water heater from metal to copper. I have no idea how to install these items or shut off water, gas, or any other installation process. I don't know exactly the names of the...

Water line replacement = entire house low water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a water line break in my front yard. The city replaced the line but ever since (immediately following the water being turned back on) the water pressure has been significantly lower throughout the house in both the hot and cold. I checked and the valve is completely open so I am...

Reduced water pressure after installation of new water heater (entire house) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, We just had a new water heater installed yesterday and the water pressure seems to be reduced (probably 85-90%) of the prior level, through out the entire house. Our old water heater started to leak yesterday AM, had the new one installed that afternoon (40 gallon, 9 year wty, gas: GE...

View more questions Search