Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 20, 2009, 04:30 PM
    No water from showerhead
    The water suddenly stopped coming out of the shower head. It is only a shower head with a separate hot handle and a separate cold handle. I turned off the shower and then back on and the water came on. I had a plumber come out and check it two months ago. He found sediment in the shower head, cleaned it out, and since then it was fine. Should the hot/cold stems be replaced as he now recommends? I bought a new shower head today, in case that is the problem. He said it could be the valve which would involve cutting into the drywall behind the shower at a cost of $800-$1,000. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 20, 2009, 05:17 PM

It could be just the shower head. Quick easy and cheap, can get for less than $5.
    Get a nice one if you like. If it stops again, leave water on , but on low, unscrew shower head, if no water comes out, it may be the valve, if water comes out, it is the shower head.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 20, 2009, 05:34 PM

It is most likely the head since you have 2 handles which m,eans 2 valves. Repoeated sediment can actually be bites of a degraded dip tube inside the water heater. If you find white specks squeeze them between your thumb and index finger, are they squishy like paste or gritty like rock?
    Education Expert

May 20, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    It is most likely the head since you have 2 handles which m,eans 2 valves. repoeated sediment can actually be bites of a degraded dip tube inside the water heater. If you find white specks squeeze them between your thumb and index finger, are they squishy like paste or gritty like rock?
    I didn't find any sediment today in the shower head when we changed it. But, when the head was taken off by the plumber 2 months ago, it seemed like rock.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 07:31 PM

Did you try the shower with out the shower head installed as Stratmando suggested if not try that first and see how is the water flow and let us know? I don't think you will need to change the valves assembly you may need to repack them to change the (Cartridge or the washers) can you tell the name and the brand of your shower valves or if you can post a picture will help. Also a failed dip tube will cause you a problem like Bob Says check your other faucets in the house remove the Aerators and see if there are and sediments, Thanks.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 20, 2009, 08:02 PM

Agree with above posts: it appears to be dirt in shower head filter screen.
    Education Expert

May 20, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    Did you try the shower with out the shower head installed as Stratmando suggested if not try that first and see how is the water flow and let us know?, I don't think you will need to change the valves assembly you may need to repack them to change the (Cartridge or the washers) can you tell the name and the brand of your shower valves or if you can post a picture will help. Also a failed dip tube will cause you a problem like Bob Says check your other faucets in the house remove the Aerators and see if there are and sediments, Thanks.

John
    I have Price Pfisters I believe and they are just brass handles, like levers. I will check the other faucets and let you know. There are no cartridges on these, just on the bathtub/shower combos. The shower works fine without the head. It stopped twice now in 2 months with the head on. We replaced it today. I will try to find out the brand tomorrow and/or post a picture. Thanks so much!
    Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2009, 01:59 AM

If shower works great w/o the head, than your shower head has dirt inside. Wash it, clean it, reinstall it - and you'll be fine
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 21, 2009, 05:10 AM
    Newer shower heads have "water savers" installed. In addition to restriction the flow they also collect crud and mineral build up. Pry out the water saver and see if the sholwer head doesn't work better. Good luck, Tom
    Education Expert

May 21, 2009, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    If shower works great w/o the head, than your shower head has dirt inside. Wash it, clean it, reinstall it - and you'll be fine
    No luck. A new showerhead did almost the same thing. In mid-shower, the same thing happened, but this time the pressure went to almost half then came back on before I could do anything. Any more ideas?
    Education Expert

May 21, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    It could be just the shower head. Quick easy and cheap, can get for less than $5.
    Get a nice one if you like. If it stops again, leave water on , but on low, unscrew shower head, if no water comes out, it may be the valve, if water comes out, it is the shower head.
    New shower head did the same thing. Pressure dropped to half and then came back up by itself. Any more ideas??
    Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2009, 04:27 PM

If the shower works fine WITHOUT shower head - the problem is the shower head. I cannot see anything else to be a problem...

What do you think, guys ? Anything else you could come up with as the culprit to teacherjenn4's problem ?
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 04:30 PM

Milo you are correct if the water is flowing good with out the shower head I don't see any other reason, Thanks.

John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
    When you run the shower with the shower head removed does the water pulse any or is it a steady stream? Tom
    Education Expert

May 21, 2009, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    When you run the shower with the shower head removed does the water pulse any or is it a steady stream? Tom
    It comes out as a steady stream. I hear like a "clunk" sound and then the water shut off or today came out in a half stream, then came on. Could it be a valve in the wall?
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    It comes out as a steady stream. I hear like a "clunk" sound and then the water shut off or today came out in a half stream, then came on. Could it be a valve in the wall?
    I am really lost before you said that the flow is good with out the head installed and now you say it it is in half stream, can you tell us the model number of your faucet or you can take a picture and post it for us, Thanks.

John
    Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2009, 06:52 PM

You may have loose stem part or washer blocking the flow. Remove stems, inspect them and make necessary repairs. Reinstall. See if this problem still continues...
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 07:05 PM

Please open the links below, and tell us wich one looks like your faucet,Thanks.

John

http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/pp3vlv.pdf

http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/cranedialezshwr.pdf
    Education Expert

May 21, 2009, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    Please open the links below, and tell us wich one looks like your faucet,Thanks.

John

http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/pp3vlv.pdf

http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/cranedialezshwr.pdf
    First page. Solid bras 940-995 I have the same ones on my sinks in the house as the shower handles. There is no tub spout, just a shower.
    Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2009, 08:30 PM

Is that shower faucet 1/2 turn ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water comes out of showerhead, [ 4 Answers ]

I can't get the little knob that turns on the shower and turns off the water in the tub to stay up,I took off the showerhead that is not the problem The water does not go up to the shower unless I place a rag over the pipe and turn the water on.

No water in the showerhead or tub [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I have a speakman shower set with one handle for H or C, and another handle to switch from tub to shower. There is very little water pressure coming to tub and nothing to shower. The water pressure from the mainline to the shower/tub valve is strong but doesn't come out. I replaced the...

Shower - no hot water, no pressure, no water to showerhead [ 4 Answers ]

About 1 month ago the shower starting having problems. The water is only tepid and will not get hot (the water in the sink in the same bathroom is hot as well as the rest of the house). Combined with the temperature, there is no water pressure in the shower. At first you could take a shower then...

Random relaease of water from a showerhead [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently encountered a random release of water from my showerhead. The shower had not been unsed for several hours, suddenly I heard water come out of the showerhead. I suspect it was water being held in the pipe from the tub diverter, but what would cause it to suddenly release?

No water from showerhead [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I have a two knob faucet with a pull-up lever on the spout for the bath tub which diverts the water to the showerhead. When I went to pull the lever up today to turn the showerhead on, there was nothing. It stopped the water going to the tub, but nothing was coming through the...

View more questions Search