Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swdctracy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 10:26 AM
    DC-Tenant never paid first month's rent
    My new tenant signed a lease, paid a security deposit, but never made her fist month's rent. She had some ridiculous excuses, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt. It has been a week since the start of her lease. She has not taken possession of the unit. Can I cancel the lease and keep the security deposit?

Washington DC

Note:
    The lease reads "In the event that this lease shall be terminated by the Tenant prior to the expiration date, all or part of the Security Deposit aforesaid may be retained by the landlord as damages for the loss of rent resulting from such premature termination and without prejudice to the landlord's rights regarding any further obligations of the tenant."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 10:50 AM
    You can cancell the lease ( which I would) but you can't keep the deposit unless your lease agreement gives you that right.

Your being nice may just be the cost of this,
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Mar 10, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Don't provide keys unless the money is paid... if she has keys and has not moved in - change the apt unit locks to prevent move in... She has cancelled the lease.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Mar 11, 2007, 06:03 AM
    It isn't that easy. Two people have now signed a legal agreement. The tenant has the right to live in the property for the term of the lease. Just because her circumstances have changed, that does not mean she does not intend to move in at some time in the future. Unless she has provided written notice that she does not intend to move in, it is still her property. We have to move slowly here, or the landlord is going to be held responsible for expense to possibly store her goods until she finds another place, the security deposit and a temporary place for her to live. Please find out if the utilities have been changed into the tenant's name. That is our starting place. If the answer is no, then there is a chance she has changed her mind and is not moving in at all. If the answer is yes, then she may be planning on moving in but for some reason has been delayed.

Since the rent was due and not paid, post a 3 day eviction notice for non-payment of rent. Do not change the locks. If she does not appear or call you within the 3 days, file the eviction and go to court. The security deposit (actually called earnest money prior to the move in date) now becomes "rent". If she is garnishable or you can see a way to collect additional expenses incurred to re-rent the property, think about taking her to small claims for damages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Last Month's Rent/Pre-Paid [ 2 Answers ]

If I paid the first and last month's rent years ago, and the current rent is a lot more, did I not "buy" in advance, an extra month's rent at the price when I signed the rental agreement? So I can considered the last month as paid in full without paying the additional to equal the new rent amount?...

Last month's rent payment [ 4 Answers ]

I recently gave 60 days notice on my lease. I am now at my last month's payment due. I did however have to prepay first and last months rent at the beginning of the lease. My landlord is saying I have to pay the rent at the beginning of the month and he will refund it at the end of the month. I...

Repair for tenant who hasn't paid us [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: My husband and I rent a unit to a person who stops paying us two months ago. Since we live in West coast and the property we own is in New York, it takes us long time to evict her, but finally it is in process of eviction with our friend's help. (We gave our friend our power of attorney...

Being evicted but I paid rent [ 2 Answers ]

My lanlord is taking me to court to evicte me for August rent but she filled the eviction papers on July 19th. I'm wondering if she is able to do that. I paid all of julys rent but late and also paid the late fee, today when I got the eviction papers they are for 400 dollars more than my rent even...

Full month's rent? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- I have a question that I need answered. My husband and I live in NH and currently are not in a lease with our apartment. We found a new place to live and would like to move in Aug 19. We have given 30 days notice, and would like to partial pay the month of Aug- from aug 1-19. Our present...

View more questions Search