Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marty75426 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2013, 05:25 PM
    Wills
    My sister passed away last October, she had been in the hospital for 4 days and her step sons never called to let us know. They finally called on the 4th day and told us she had passed away. My brother and I have been told by the 2 step sons that she had a will, now we are hearing from her closest friends that she didn't. How can we find out for sure? Her step sons won't call us or return our calls when we leave messages. If there wasn't a will do they have any rights to her estate?

Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 9, 2013, 05:39 PM
    Finding out if there was a will isn't easy unless it was probated, and you find that out by contacting the Probate Court where she died.
    Small estates aren't always probated. Probate allows creditors and possible heirs to come forward, an inventory of assets to be made, and bills paid and distributions made.
    If she owned a house, you can look up her deed and the new deed (if recorded since October) at the Deed Office.

If someone dies without a will, that is called dying 'intestate,' and inheritance goes by state law. You can Google your state and 'intestate' to see the law.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 9, 2013, 06:44 PM
    Expanding upon Joy's answer, step-children do not inherit unless there is a will (everywhere, I believe, in the U.S. and in most other countries as well). So unless they can establish a will leaving them some property, they have no rights to anything from her estate. So, if your sister died owing significant property, you or your brother should apply to be appointed personal representative of an intestate estate.

You mention step-sons, but don't indicate whether their father (your sister's husband) is still alive. If he is, he might have inheritance rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2013, 07:36 PM
    If they do now show you a will, is there any children that are not step children ? If not, you file a claim in probate assuming there is no will, and proceed as if they do not have any legal rights.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2013, 08:10 AM
    I have only dealt with one state (MD) which handled a close relative's will and that state has a website on which the docket of any estate current or closed, can be reviewed at all stages, and copies of any of the documents listed on the docket can be ordered for a small fee. In MD, the officials in charge of wills are called Register of Wills (one elected for each county). Also, look for notices to creditors published in newspapers.
    But, without knowing your location, it is difficult to determine what the procedures are in your area.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 10, 2013, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    I have only dealt with one state (MD) which handled a close relative's will and that state has a website on which the docket of any estate current or closed, can be reviewed at all stages, and copies of any of the documents listed on the docket can be ordered for a small fee. In MD, the officials in charge of wills are called Register of Wills (one elected for each county). Also, look for notices to creditors published in newspapers.
    But, without knowing your location, it is difficult to determine what the procedures are in your area.
    Accessing court records online makes it easier in some places, but in any event it is not difficult: As Joypulv wrote yesterday, "you find that out [whether an application has been submitted to the court] by contacting the Probate Court where she died." A simple phone call should do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida wills [ 10 Answers ]

My parents had wills written by an attorney when they lived in Florida. Now they live in PA close to me. Are those wills valid in PA? Thanks! Bill

Does any one know about wills? [ 24 Answers ]

Is it legal in North Carolina to make a will leaving real property to someone other than your spouse with out the knowledge and consent of said spouse?

Wills [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Recently my grandma passed away. She had a will and she appointed an executor to carry out her last wishes. Due to family conflict the executor has decided to step back and allow an attorney to carry out the will. Now I know that all of the bank accounts have beneficiary desingation however...

Wills [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a limit of time for a family member to request to view a deceased family member s Will? Who would a person contact to see the will?

Wills [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering what the California law is about the following. After my mother died my ex sister in law at the day of the funeral approached my father to sign things over to her, I believe he did? Then re recently got married and the lady talked my father into signing things over to her. As...

View more questions Search