Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MJ1979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
    Can monster rehab drinks show a false negatgive for an alcohol drug screen?
    I have custody of my son and I have had to take random drug test at my home. Out of almost 10 months I have failed 2 times for alcohol. Both times I had a monster drink before the testing. It is a urine test and also some kind of card looking thing they dip in the urine. The instant card thing showed nothing positive. But, the urine they send off came back as a weak positive. Can this drink have anything to do with it? Because I have no other idea of how it could be positive for alcohol, considering I do not drink.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
    Yes it can.

The "card looking" device is an instant check for EtOH and shows that you had no alcohol in your urine, although these on-site devices only measure down to about .02 mg. (+/- 20%)

What they send off to the lab is checked for a metabolite of alcohol known as EtG and or EtS. It supposedly detects alcohol use after the alcohol has left the system. In fact in picks up any alcohol including mouthwash, toothpaste or thousands of other sources.

By a weak positive it is probably registering just above a 100ng cutoff.

While it could be the energy drink it could be almost anything else.

What brand was the energy drink?

Reference:

Jnl of Analalytical Toxicology, 2009 Apr;33(3):167-9
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 14, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Yes it can.

The "card looking" device is an instant check for EtOH and shows that you had no alcohol in your urine, although these on-site devices only measure down to about .02 mg. (+/- 20%)

What they send off to the lab is checked for a metabolite of alcohol known as EtG and or EtS. It supposedly detects alcohol use after the alcohol has left the system. In fact in picks up any alcohol including mouthwash, toothpaste or thousands of other sources.

By a weak positive it is probably registering just above a 100ng cutoff.

While it could be the energy drink it could be almost anything else.

What brand was the energy drink?

Reference:

Jnl of Analalytical Toxicology, 2009 Apr;33(3):167-9
    I believe the OP stated it was a monster energy drink.

http://monsterenergydrinks.org/monster-energy-drinks-ingredients/

http://www.ehow.com/list_7378887_ingredients-monster-drink.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I pass an ETG drug screen for alcohol with detox products? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm a female, 115 pounds, I drank on valentines day (yesterday). 2 cups of champagne and about 1 beer. I stopped drinking before midnight and I have an ETG test for alcohol tomorrow by 5 PM. Do you think drinking a detox drink will help (effective last time and they don't test for low levels of...

Will a 5 Panel drug test show alcohol [ 1 Answers ]

I just took a 5 Panel Drug test and fear it will show I used alcohol about 50 hours ago.Also I take Marional daily butran out and took 3 hits of a joint 4 days ago. Will the 5 panel show I am positive for Alcohol and used pot not Marional?

I drank 2 mixed drinks and 3or 4 beers last night from 6-11pm. The had a drug/alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

I drab 2 mixes drinks and 4 beers last night between 6-11pm. Then had to tale a drug/alcohol test today at 8am! Will I pass? I'm freaking out!!

View more questions Search