Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iQuit2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Quitting After Accepting
    I just accepted a new job & immediately thereafter was offered another one that I know is more important to the start of my career. I cannot turn this down, despite that I just underwent a week of training & am desperately needed at my current company. I do not know my boss well enough, nor have I been there long enough, to worry about using him as a reference, but I do not want to leave them scrambling to find a new employee. The better job will start in two weeks. WHAT SHOULD I DO? Two week notice? Email resignation? Etc.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Why not just tell them in person your dilemma and come clean. Email is the chicken way out. You need to tell them immediately of your decision. Deception on your part and staying until your new job starts is essentially wrong. If you do this the right way the company will have plenty of time to get a replacement for you since they just interviewed probably half your town. Be a grownup about this, please. No company likes to hear that you've found a better offer, but stuff does happen in the real world. At least you will have enough maturity to tell them in person.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Never resign in a email always do it properly, and alwas give notice when you can.

And remember you may not list them, but in some jobs, such as government jobs or jobs where you have to provide income tax records perhaps. Or where they do credit checks and the job may show up.
    Add to this that the boss at the place you are not quiting may be a boss for a future job 20 years from now and remember you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accepting a job etiquette? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello all! I am currently unemployed and applying for (what feels like millions of) jobs. To let you know I am currently applying for retail work, I have lots of experience in that! I am hoping to hear back from one potential employer on Friday... However, I have another job interview...

Accepting my sexuality and who to tell [ 46 Answers ]

Hey, I'm been working on accepting that on some level, I am a bisexual male. I have had some experiences with a guy, and while I didn't think much of them at the time, I am now questioning myself quite a bit. I have told my girlfriend of 5 years about all of my experiences, and about all...

Accepting it's over. [ 13 Answers ]

I was dumped about 2 weeks ago, and I'm having trouble with stage one of a break up: accepting that she is not coming back. Anyone have any tips on how to move on from this "waiting" stage? Is it still TOO early to move on for me and normal to still have this "waiting" state of mind? Any...

Accepting Androids [ 11 Answers ]

How would you feel associating with an Android who was virtually indistinguishable from human? I recently read in Scientific American Magazine concerning the psychological reaction people have when in the presence of a machine which is striving to mimic not only human thought processes but also...

View more questions Search