Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logicalthinker Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 04:10 AM
    How do I get rid of Silverfish?
    Does anyone have a suggestion to get rid of these creepy little bugs? I seem to find one or two on different walls/ceilings a couple days a week. They are totally creeping me out! Aside from the can of raid that I now keep in both the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms, is there a more effective way of getting rid of them more permanently?
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 04:48 AM

The surest way of getting rid of Silverfish
    Is to spread NAPHTALENE cubes all over the
    Corners of all rooms , most especially in
    Clothes cupboards.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 05:37 AM
    They nest in old cardboard boxes or insulation. Find the source.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 09:25 AM

Look in the attic. They love attics, with all the cardboard/paper up there. Foggers and dust insecticides work well where sprays won't reach.

Mar 16, 2009, 08:56 PM

And here I was thinking they were in the basement. Ugh the thought of going and looking for their "nest" totally creeps me out! Thanks for all the suggestions. This is now my mission for this weekend
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Mar 24, 2009, 02:16 PM
    NAPHTALENE should NOT be used in the living spaces in your house. It has a characteristic moth ball smell, and there are health issues with its use. It is appropriate in areas that are sealed, like storage boxes, or perhaps the attic/basement, if those spaces are sealed off from your living areas.

As stated, silverfish like to eat paper, glue, sugar and the like, in dark spaces, basements or attics, so you may find them in books that haven't been opened lately, stacks of paper, insulation, etc.

Silverfish can be controlled with rigorous housekeeping, but if you must...

A spray that contains the pyrethroid group of insecticides - they end in -thrin, like bifenthrin, tetramethrin - applied for the control of crawling insects will control silverfish. You can also use dry organic products like boric acid, diatomaceous earth or silica gels. These are contained in products like Roach-Prufe, Bor-Rid, and Drione. These are irritating to the silverfish's exoskeleton and cause them to dry out and die. Do not use these dusts in your living areas. Like the aerosols, they are appropriately used behind walls, behind the stove, and in the hidden areas where you might find them.

Silverfish and Firebrat Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Mar 24, 2009, 03:34 PM

gnahcd I've read that about the moth balls too so I haven't used them. My basement is partially finished and my daughters playroom is down there as well as the laundry room. I haven't come across any in my basement. Or my kitchen for that matter (very meticulous about the kitchen being clean because I will freak if I find them in there) I'm finding them on the ceilings in different places of the house on the main and 2nd floors. Mind you, I find like one a week in random rooms or closets, but I think it's because I keep my house very cool (65 degrees) I'm worried about it now that it's getting warmer that they're going to come out of the woodwork. One site I read said to calk any cracks along the baseboards and in the plaster on the ceilings... do you know if this would be helpful?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 04:11 PM
    Sealing cracks along baseboards, crown mouldings, different wall coverings, etc. is considered a very, very, VERY good idea by everyone that deals with homes. It helps prevent pests coming in/travelling through the home. It cuts down on drafts. It helps insulate and cuts utility bills. Houses settle, so it may need to be done again down the road, but it's still an excellent move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search