Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charliebrooklyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2013, 12:44 PM
    Dog anus
    Hello,
    My poodle has a very red itchy butt, we expressed his anal gland 2 weeks ago at the vet clinic.
    The problem still exist .Please advise what to do.

Thank you
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 06:34 PM
    You could try rubbing neosporin onto the skin of the anus
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 24, 2013, 06:53 PM
    Are you sure the anal glans were expressed completely? Could the be impacted? I'd go back to the vet. It should be cleared up by now.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2013, 11:01 PM
    He could have an infection in the anal gland actually caused by expressing it or another issue. I agree with Alty... take the dog back to the vet to get checked out. I presume the issue isn't fleas, of course. There are a lot of different beliefs in this, but in my opinion, unless the dog has a problem the anal glands should be left alone because once you start cleaning them you will always have to do it. A healthy dog has the ability to express their anal glands on their own.

It's not normal, in my opinion, that a dog's behind gets very red and itchy because of the need to have their glands expressed. Sounds to me like there is another issue here that needs attention.

Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does it mean or o I have when I bleed a little from my anus [ 2 Answers ]

When ever I use the restroom an I go #2 when ever it hurts, which only happens once in a while, after I whipe there is a little blood on the toilet paper but never any in the toilet itself and it's only a little bit, it's been happening for a year

Dog licking anus [ 4 Answers ]

Bleeding anus [ 2 Answers ]

This might be weird but a couple of years back while I was sexually experimenting someone told me you can stimulate your prostate by inserting something in your anus I tried that it ended up horrible I had like blood gushing out and even red blood cells I saw some red cells gushing out, that...

Sore skin with bumps near anus/Between vagina and anus/closest to anus [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. First off, not sure if this might be why I have this, but let me first say, all this past weekend, my husband and I had lots of sex. My husband put on a cock ring and the ring that goes around the balls as well. Perhaps the rings have irritated me, I don't know. But This morning...

View more questions Search