Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dgdg71 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 05:52 PM
    Starting My COmputer
    Hello: when I start my computer is does not completely load and then I have to unplug if for 5 seconds and then it will load windows XP. If I unplug it to begin with it will start right up. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks Derek
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2006, 05:34 AM
    For stuff like that, the first steps should always be
    1. Run a full system scan for virus'
    2. Run a spyware and adware removal tools like Spybot and Adaware.

Run those and let us know how it goes.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Sounds like you may have a hard drive problem. I had the very same problem once. It eventually got worse and I was having to restart the computer every time I wanted to print something, to reconnect to the internet, etc.

But that's how it started. My hardrive blew up in the end and I was lucky to extract as much data as I did from it - I did however lose some files. It was a very old computer mind. We also located a number of viruses on all the files recoverd.

I would do what Rickj suggests - if viruses are found, this could be the root of your problem and you will need to get them killed off asap.

Jan 13, 2006, 06:30 AM
    I did run a virus scan and I have a spryware problem but that did not do anything. This is a newer computer only a year old.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 13, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdg71
    I did run a virus scan and I have a spryware problem but that did not do anything. This is a newer computer only a year old.
    As it only a year old is it still under warranty ?

If so now's the time to get it checked by the supplier.

Sounds like it's suffering from a hardware issue, either Hard drive, mother board or power supply.

Jan 13, 2006, 02:14 PM
    No the warrinty has ended on it. Someone else suggested to me the power supply but why does it start up when I unplug it?
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2006, 03:06 AM
    It is the same with any machine that is powered by Electricity. If it won't start initially, sometimes pulling there plug is the only option. Once you plug it back in and turn it on, it has all reset itself, ready to work gain. So whatever the problem was initially was temporarily fixed - but it's only a matter of time before it happens again. I had the very same problem. It's nothing to do with the power supply, it's a problem your computer has. It's definatle a hardware problem. I think the best option is to get a computer technician to look at your PC and see if he/she can detect the problem or if you are as fortunate as me to have close friends who are total computer boffins and know all there is to know about computers in every aspect, get them to take a look.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can use some help on starting a new career. [ 2 Answers ]

I've been working as a bartender for 12 years and suddenly lost my position because the city took the building I was working in, now I've had odd jobs here and there, but because I have really bad Asthma - which I'm working on to control - it makes it hard for me to find work in my former...

Just starting [ 1 Answers ]

Any loan officers that can help me start in the biz need some good sales lines for honest person ;)

Starting windows [ 3 Answers ]

My puter crashed and after wiping the hard drive and redoing it, it now asks me which windows operating system I would like to run.. Either windows XP pro... which I have installed or windows.Can anyone tell me what I did wrong on installation? And what I need to do to stop it from asking.Thanks

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search