Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccech3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2005, 12:10 AM
    Loud knocking noise on central air
    I came home today to find that the inside part of the furnace/central air is making a loud knocking noise. It seems to be working fine, but is very loud. Any ideas? Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2005, 08:11 PM
    The only thing inside that moves is the blower. It may be loose. May just need a few turns of a wrench.

Sorry I messed answering yesterday. I spent most of the day at a big outing with 15-20 dogs, mostly Labs.
    Spearheading Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 06:56 AM
    Loud knocking noise on central air
    I also have a carrier A/C (five tons) for seven years and noticed the noise when the A/C started. I opened the cover and saw two weight adjustment clips on the fins of the blower and shifted them left and right a bit. I did notice a big difference in terms of the noise level. However, the noise is still there at a much lower level. It looks like the blower is hung with lots of sheet metal screws and is behind a small electrical control pannel not very accessible (all surrounded by a sheet metal case). Is there a "short cut" path to oil or check the blower for losen fasteners?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2005, 07:06 AM
    I am doing what I can to help, but do not have enough experience to help with details like that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knocking noise in ceiling and bathroom [ 10 Answers ]

I have a brand new house built 5 months ago. I can hear random knocks and single bangs in my attached bath and bedroom ceiling. The bathroom sounds metallic, and the ceiling sounds like something is hitting my roof. As if its in the attic or someone threw a rock on my roof. I kept convincing...

Water line makes Knocking noise [ 3 Answers ]

Every time one of our toilets if flushed, the water line makes a knocking noise.  It never use to do that until we replaced the flapper and flushing valve.  Does anyone know what this might be?  It's very loud! ::)

Knocking noise when flushing toilet [ 2 Answers ]

We've replaced the flapper, and flushing valve approx. a month ago. Ever since when it is flushed there is a loud knocking noise in the water line. Does anyone know what we can do to fix the problem? It's pretty loud. Thanks, in advance!

Knocking in central air while unit is not running [ 1 Answers ]

I am hearing loud knocking noises inside the air handler unit of my central air/heat unit located in my attic. This knocking is intermittent and I have only heard it while the unit is not running. I did not notice the noise until the winter and I started using the heat. Any ideas of what this...

Loud Knocking Noise when cold water side of shower is on [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy folks. When I turn my shower on, I have to turn the water all the way to hot, switch the shower lever, and then adjust to warm... otherwise I get a huge loud knocking sound from the basement. I went down to see if I could see pipes rattling or anything, but nothing. I turned on the faucet...

View more questions Search