Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terriejrfan8 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2011, 11:42 AM
    Eviction
    Hello, I am hoping that someone can help me out on here! I have a tenant that had a cousin staying with her for several days. During that time the police came to the home and knocked on the door, at that time the "cousin" ran, he was caught by the police. Upon searching the home they found crack cocaine and a set of scales in the kitchen that tested positive for crack. My tenant states that she was at work and had no knowledge of this. However, the following day the police came back to speak with the tenant concerning the situation only to find her there with four other individuals and more crack. I received several letters from the City stating that I have 15 days to respond to their letter. Saying that if I do not evict the tenant that I would have to pay a 10% bond on my home to allow tenant to stay there. And if she or anyone else does anything illegal that they will lock up the home for 365 days and I will lose bond. I was told since there was illegal drugs found in the home that I do not have to give a notice, also was told a 3 day notice. Nevertheless, she has not paid her rent for this month only part of it. And was supposed to pay in full by this Friday and has not done so. We want her out, tired of dealing with all of this with her. What are our options?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 11:47 AM

Where? There is no Federal law. It varies by State.

I see your options are to let her stay and risk losing your house for a year; evict her.

Apr 23, 2011, 12:04 PM
    Sorry I forgot to mention that we live in OHIO.
    tremmor Posts: 13, Reputation: -2

Apr 23, 2011, 12:38 PM
    You're a good candidate for using a lawyer.

Apr 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
    Ive also seen it before with a friend that had apartments. He new a little about the law for this sort of thing. You might want to talk to someone at the city hall. Im sure they are the ones requesting the eviction. Don't talk over the phone. Go there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 12:52 PM

I am not sure what your question is, they are using drugs and they are not paying the rent, so give them notice of eviction, give city a copy, and evict them?

Again it is a good idea since it is so serious that you hire an attorney
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tremmor View Post
    Ive also seen it before with a friend that had apartments. he new a little about the law for this sort of thing. You might want to talk to someone at the city hall. Im sure they are the ones requesting the eviction. don't talk over the phone. go there.

No question "the City" has given the news that the tenant has to be out. It's in writing with a deadline/date.

What do you think an in person visit to City Hall is going to accomplish - other than take time - ?

Apr 23, 2011, 01:51 PM
    Get there help with eviction. Tell them the problem your having.
    They can enforce the law with the city police. They will also
    Know you are trying. Go there...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 02:02 PM

The police without a court order from housing court do not evict, The people in city hall do not give legal advice.

The city also knows the problem, they wrote you the letter and want you to get r

And they could care less if you are "trying" and next this is not trying, trying is serving them notice to move out, trying is to file in court for an eviction.

Apr 23, 2011, 02:35 PM
    The woman we spoke to with the City told us that we do not have to give a 3 or 7 day eviction notice since she violated her lease by having felony drugs found on the property, not one day but two times. The tenant has appealed and is awaiting court next week. In the meantime my husband spoke with the tenant and explained the situation to her, telling her that she had until the end of the month if/when all past rent is paid to date. However, she did not pay the entire balance, we told her that she was unable to stay there and would have to be out by Monday. We have served a 3 day notice to vacate to her. Now we will have to wait and see if she abides or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Eviction in WA [ 4 Answers ]

I was served a eviction notice from the court but the landlord neve gave me a 20 day notice and my brother was the one that took the eviction notice from the server does that count

Possible eviction [ 1 Answers ]

I came from NJ here in Fl. Just 2mo. Rented condo from in law and brother. They raised my rent $100 one day after being here. Verbal agreement, no lease. I then asked for a lease, I am still waiting. I found out 2wks ago they were and have been behind in their condo fees despite my rental payment...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

Eviction [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: I have a rental house and the person on the contract has a wife and she has a son that is her not his. Her name is not on the contract. He wants her out. How do I go about doing this? Any help would be great. Not sure what to do in this situation. The house is in Indiana. ...

View more questions Search