Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Warreng Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2005, 08:33 AM
    Basement bathroom vent
    I want to put a shower, sink and toilet in a basement I am developing. When they built the house they did not rough in any plumbing nor did they run a vent to the basement. After I break up the concrete to install the drains I still have the venting problems. Can I run a vent line horizontally out the side of the house? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2005, 11:48 AM
    Basement bathroom vent
    Quote Originally Posted by Warreng
    I want to put a shower, sink and toilet in a basement I am developing. When they built the house they did not rough in any plumbing nor did they run a vent to the basement. After I break up the concrete to install the drains I still have the venting problems. Can I run a vent line horizontally out the side of the house? Thanks.
    Let me first lay out the job. Toilet on a 4" main to sewer. Lavatory,(2") to tie in downstream of the toilet with a 2" vent coming off the top of the 2 X 2 X 1/12" drainage tee, (more about the vent later).
    The shower drain to be wet vented by tying it into the lavatory drain.
    Now for your vent. Section 1404.5 of the Universal Standard Plumbing Code under the heading, "Extensions Through Wall" states; "Vent terminals extending through a wall , WHEN APPROVED BY THE PLUMBING Official, shall be located at least 10-feet horizontally from any lot line. They shall be turned to provide a upward opening. They shall be effectively screened and shall meet the requirements of 1404.4 that states that you may not locate it under a door,window or under a overhang, nor shall any such vent terminal be within 10 feet horizontally of such a opening unless it at least 2 feet above the top of such opening.
    All this means is that you will have to get permission from the Plumbing Department before you can run it. If they turn you down, ask about installing a mechanical vent on the lavatory. If he says no then you have no choice but to run it to the attic and revent or out the roof. Good luck on your remodel and if you have more questions feel free to ask them. Tom

Feb 3, 2005, 01:37 PM
    If I can get approval for a mechanical vent will that vent the shower and toilet?
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2005, 02:00 PM
    Vents
    If I can get approval for a mechanical vent will that vent the shower and toilet?
    Yes, if you would like more information click on backi. Tom

Feb 3, 2005, 04:21 PM
    Click on backi? What and where is backi?
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2005, 05:45 AM
    Vents
    Click on backi? What and where is backi?
    Ya just did! Click on back means that I'm waiting for you to respond.
    Let me give you some information about Studor Mechanical Spring Loaded Vents. Click on or paste this up on your address bar;
    http://www.studor.com/homeowners.htm

I have used these vents where it was imposable to run a vent out the roof.
    The Studor factory's located a few miles north of me in Clearwater, Fl. And I've used these vents with no problems or call backs. However, a word of warning. Not all local plumbing codes will accept them. Check with your local building department to find out. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vent Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Is It Ok To Drain My Central Ac Unit Into My 4" Bath Vent Pipe And Should There Be Water In That Pipe. The Ac Guys Did That Because The Other Ac Pipe Was Cloged.

Basement Bathroom Vent [ 6 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. It has roughed-in plumbing under the slab for a bathtub, sink and toilet tied to pit for a sewage ejector pump to pump up to the municipal sewer. There is a 2" capped PVC pipe protruding from the first floor bathroom, which is directly above this bathroom. I am...

New Basement Bathroom - Drain and Vent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We would like to install a new bathroom (well, half bath = sink + toilet) in our basement. Currently, there is a toilet down there, sitting on a cast iron wye off the main sewer line for the house. We want to move the toilet by approx. 8 feet. The final position would be directly above...

Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I...

Bathroom Vent [ 5 Answers ]

We just remodeled a 1st floor bathroom. There is 1 sink, a shower and a toilet. They all drain into a 4" main with the shower at the far end then the sink then the shower. Before remodeling there were 2, 2" vents tapped off the horizontal main, 1 between the toilet and the sink drain entry and one...

View more questions Search