Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pinkie000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2005, 02:04 PM
    Weight loss help
    I want to lose weight and become a medium instead of a XL! but i don't want to go on diet pills can any 1 help? :o
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Mar 9, 2005, 06:06 PM
    Eliminate liquid calories. Drink lots of water, it will keep you full without adding pounds. Eat lots of vegetables. You can fill up on them and be very satisfied without gaining weight. My favorite is stirfry. (You don't need a stir fry pan. I have one but use a skillet instead. It works fine.) I use a little bit of olive oil, rice vinegar or lemon juice, and soy sauce. Then add water as needed to provide enough liquid. Frying in water doesn't add calories. Let your imagination go as to what spices you add. Except you want need salt. Just stay away from the stirfry sauces in the stores. It is easy and a lot cheaper to do your own. You can add small amounts of your favorite protein, chicken, pork, lean beef, etc. Personally I like tofu. I have also used tuna.

Don't try to eliminate the treats you love. Instead use them as treats and have high quality. If it is satisfying, you will be more likely to be able to stop with just a little.

Be sure to exercise. Walking and working out with dumbells would be a good start.

And don't forget how much more you will enjoy life after you reach your goal.

Good luck.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2005, 07:57 AM
    Weight Loss
    Hi,
    Just wanted to add something to what a good answer Walt has already given.

Know how to count calories?
    Look at the labels on what you are eating, look at what 1 serving amount is (like 1 cup, etc), then look at the number of calories.
    If you eat something that doesn't tell you the number of calories, then look it up on the net; like using http://www.google.com. You can find the number of calories in anything!

It takes 2000 calories a day (that is a 24 hour period... not just daylight) to maintain weight. Anything over, for a normal person, will add weight.
    If you count up the calories you are eating and drinking in a 24 hour period right now, it might add up to 3000 to 6000!

Cutting calories is the BEST way to lose weight, along with exercise.
    No one would be buying all the useless pills and medications if they would just cut back on calories.
    Best of luck, and hang in there.
    Stick to a 2000 calorie diet, and you will lose weight.
    fredg
    butterfly5778 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 07:42 PM
    I have just lost more than 50 pounds - and I firmly believe that the ONLY healthy way to lose weight is to watch fat and calories AND exercise. You don't have to spend hours at the gym either - a brisk walk for 30 minutes a day will help! I would also encourage you to count calories, but don't forget to watch your fat intake.

My only other pieces of advice are (1) to make sure you are eating enough and to spread your calories out throughout the day. You will only make yourself miserable if you are constantly hungry. (2) don't totally eliminate foods you love from your diet - if you adore chocolate or chips EAT THEM! Just limit the amount you are eating - try to keep it to a small portion a couple of times a week.
    Nikki11 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 2, 2007, 03:53 AM
    Hi there,

I believe that you need to find what works for your emotional needs, lifestyle, and body.

Emotional:
    If you have body issues, eat for comfort, then you need to consider this.

Lifestyle:
    No point in joining a gym or planning any strict exercise regime if you're not an exercise person or have many other commitments. Find the activities you truly enjoy - dancing, swimming, walking the dog.

Body:
    Some people do well eating loads of protein, others need more carbs. Eating tons of vegetables fills one person up, while another could eat a bucket full and still crave something more.
    Discovering your metabolic type could help with this.

I am anti calorie-counting, unless you are truly stuck. I prefer learning what constitutes as healthy food, manage portions (use smaller plates!), manage blood sugar (by managing carbs), learning to listen to my body and thereby eat when hungry.
    This creates a healthier lifestyle rather than a fad dieting regime.

I lost 3stone by eating good fats, and plenty of them, lots of meat, and managing my carb (bread, pasta, starchy veg, sugar products) intake. (not low carb, managed carbs)

I also found that plenty of water is essential. NOT to fill you up. If you're hungry, EAT. But to ensure your body is at top working order while you lose weight.
    More small meals rather than 3 large meals.
    Stop eating about 3-4 hrs before bed. Or having a tiny carb snack before bed if sleeping is an issue.

Remember, rapid weight loss is a con. You can lose weight fast, but what you actually want to lose is fat. Weight can mean fat and muscle. Losing muscle is bad news. Firstly, you'll pile the weight back on as soon as you start eating normally, or have a large meal. Secondly, muscle keeps your metabloism up (more muscle, more you can eat!). I recommend a set of scales that measures your fat percentage. It's too easy to get excited as the numbers go down, but it's pointless if it includes musle loss.
    Good luck!

The Metabolic Shift Approach
    ChericeCarr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 06:17 AM
    PS: Nikki11 gives a great answer!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight loss [ 6 Answers ]

I want to ask about some information for "Himalayan diet breakthough".I am thinking to try it,but bifore that,I want to know is it work or no.May be I could finde some one who used bifore and to give me some idea there is use of it or no.I am looking for some medicine to help me to lose weight.I am...

Weight Loss [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Has Anybody Tried Nowslim Tablets, And Do They Work?

Are there natural products that aid in Weight loss? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there anything out there that helps with weight loss that is a "Natural" product? Please don't tell me about the "Self Control" pill or "Just stop eating" pill. I am grossly overweight and need to start on some kind of plan so I can slowly lose the extra weight over a year or so. Thanks...

Weight loss [ 2 Answers ]

I am 14 years old and about 5'3 and I weight about 117 pounds but I am a bit overweight I was wondering what I can do to lose it mainly in the stomach and thighs. I was also wondering want calorie intake is normal for my age (for no gain and no lose)?

Weight loss [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, for the last 2 years I have been trying without any success to lose weight. Am not overweight but it seems impossible for me to loose even 2 kgs. Have tried weight watcher, south beach diet... Would it be possible that I do have problems with my tyroid and who should I consult for that?

View more questions Search