Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SShr23 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Deferring Grad school on F1 visa, is it possible?
    Deferring graduate study on F1 visa, is it possible, what's the good way to do it?

I am a student who has recently been approved F1 visa for graduate study in USA at one of the colleges in New York. I am already here in USA on F1. My graduate study is starting from February 2009 but because of some unforeseen circumstance I will be able to start my studies only from fall this year. How do we go about this , is there anything that needs to be done for this.

So if my study is deferred, what will happen to my visa, will I have to go back to my home country & reapply for new visa or I can continue here on status

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you need more details. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SShr23 View Post
    Deferring graduate study on F1 visa, is it possible, what's the good way to do it?

I am a student who has recently been approved F1 visa for graduate study in USA at one of the colleges in New York. I am already here in USA on F1. My graduate study is starting from February 2009 but because of some unforeseen circumstance I will be able to start my studies only from fall this year. How do we go about this , is there anything that needs to be done for this.

So if my study is deferred, what will happen to my visa, will I have to go back to my home country & reapply for new visa or I can continue here on status

Thanks in advance, please let me know if you need more details. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
    Need more details.. Why? What happened... and will the school be willing to issue a proper document?
    SShr23 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 12:32 PM
    The school would be happy to issue proper document, The registrar said he would change the starting date to Fall instead of Feb, things are not working out for me to start right away in Feb. What more details are needed, what would be the next step?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SShr23 View Post
    The school would be happy to issue proper document, The registrar said he would change the starting date to Fall instead of Feb, things are not working out for me to start right away in Feb. What more details are needed, what would be the next step?
    I still don't know what the reason is.. what you must do is contact international office at your school and ask them what your options are. You can't be in US if you are not attending classes, but you probably don't need to apply for a new visa. If the deferred period is over 5 months, you will need to apply for a new visa from your home country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transition between Grad school and work [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a foreigner who has started my job and sixth year in the US this August. For the first five year I was in Grad school receiving salary from the University, and have been filing under the non-resident alien status. Since this year I would have to file for both my University and work...

UK Grad School [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Do you have any idea on UK grad school? I have heard great things about UK Grad School Programs. I want to study Finance, and good university/college you guys know about in UK? I heard it's only 1 year program in UK, right? Thank you in advance

Does grad school shun away women from men? [ 6 Answers ]

It is the 5th christmas since I started the grad school. Soon I'll turn 28 but am still single, no boyfriend. I met a bunch of boys over the years but none of these became a real relationship. Sometimes I'm curious about how one can even start a relationship with boys in grad school. Sometimes I...

Grad school or time off? [ 4 Answers ]

I graduated from college in December 06 and I am currently living at home and working in my home town at the local hospital. I have been here since I was four and never even left for college. I want to pursue my master's in Speech Language Pathology, I have applied to three schools and been...

Grad school after OPT [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Firstly, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am an undergraduate student with Indian citizenship in my senior year. I will be receiving a BA in computer science in May of this year. I have a few questions. After graduating in May of 2007, I will start my 12 month OPT...

View more questions Search