Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pican00 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 08:21 PM
    New tub length is off
    I set my new fiberglass tub into position to see how it would work and I am coming up about 1/2 short in the rear. I know I can place a shimmy behind it, but I was going to tile all around the tub. Won't this throw off my measurements for the tile? Any ideas?

superplumber Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

May 7, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Hello, if you space your tub a 1/4 inch from each end that will allow you to rest a 1/2 inch greenboard on the tub ledge, and the wonderboard will rest on the tub base, that will keep you from having to fur out your wall, creating more work, not to mention the head ache. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 8, 2008, 06:27 AM
    PICAN...

Clearly space is out of square...

Does this wall continue the entire length of the bathroom.. How long is the bathroom..

I don't know here... I always just fir out the wall in these cases. It is a pain, but squares all up so you get a nice tile job in relation to tub.

If this was back wall of tub I would tell you to bury it into wall.. or again fir it out to match.

In this case, I would take PLUMB readings on the studs of entire wall, and I would RIP some studs down on a table saw to fit the space and straighten the wall as best you can... make sure to drop ripped stud DOWN BEHIND the tub lip... then install the cement board directly on studs (I use a construction adhesive to bond 1/2" hardibacker to studs) right down on top of the lip/flange of the tub... do not install directly down on tub as this creates a bow in cement board.

Fill the space left between the tub and hardibacker with thinset.

Do not use greenboard anywhere!!

Let me know what you think... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Length to climax [ 9 Answers ]

On average, how long does it take for a woman to reach climax?

Ventline length [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm doing a basment bathroom. Toilet, shower and vanity. Will be running a ventline off the line from the vanity. Does it matter how long or how many elbows you get in a ventline run? It will be a 2in vent line.I have to come up the wall, 45 elbow, across the room, 45 elbow,around an air vent,...

Rebound Length [ 2 Answers ]

I was married for 4 years, until we both decided to divorce. It was not a bad break-up, it was more of us knowing we had made a mistake. Shortly after I entered a new relationship. My new boyfriend and I have been dating over a year. But my family says that I have a rebound relationship. Do I?...

Hair Length [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, yet another silly question.Before summer I had almost waist length hair and cut it to about 1/2 an inch (gets hot here in Missouri!) and I've now went almost 3 months without cutting it.Trying to grow it back.I understand normally hair grows about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch per month.Any "cheap"...

View more questions Search