Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    george7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 04:24 PM
    What should I do to adopt HDTV?
    I've heard that I will be forced to buy an HD television under federal law? Is that true? What should I do about that? Should I buy some sort of converter? Should I wait until the last minute for prices of stuff to fall?

There is a LOT of information about this online, but it's too much, really. I'm looking for some "simple advice".
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 17, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Your not really forced to buy a HD. The madate was to do away with analog TV (NTSC) and go digital. Soon all new TV's will be capable of receiving digital broadcasts.

For TVs, here is an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry:

As of March 2006, all 25 inch and larger TVs for sale must have ATSC tuners capable of receiving the 8VSB modulation used for free terrestrial digital broadcasts in the United States. The final conversion step is a mandate that all televisions and TV-tuning devices have ATSC tuners by March 2007. Many of these will not be capable of displaying HDTV signals at their full resolution, but they will be capable of decoding and displaying these signals.
    sonicendeavor Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

May 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Yes, you will be able to buy an inexpensive converter that will convert the digital TV signal to analog so your existing TV can continue to work. If you want to buy a new TV, then, as the last poster stated, it will have a digital tuner in it. If you don't want to buy a new TV, then you'll just need to go the converter route.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 9, 2007, 12:24 PM
    All this applies only to over-the-air signals. If you get your TV service from a cable or satellite TV system, you won't be required to change anything at all.
    sonicendeavor Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

May 9, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    All this applies only to over-the-air signals. If you get your TV service from a cable or satellite TV system, you won't be required to change anything at all.
    That's not entirely true. A cable ready analog TV will not be able to handle a digital signal when the cable company goes all digital. The signal has to be converted, which will require a box. The cable companies will most likely stock some set top boxes that have a legacy analog output, but the consumer will need to be aware that they need this capability.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 07:58 PM
    You will not be Forced to buy HD Receiver. You just won't pick up any signals.(NO TV)
    Seriously, someone will make a cheap converter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I connect a DVD Recorder to Satellite Box to HDTV? [ 1 Answers ]

Here's what I'm trying to connect: Phillips DVD Recorder Model DVDR3400 (which has 1 HDMI input) DirecTV HD Receiver (which also has 1 HDMI input) Panasonic Plasma HDTV Model TH-42PX60U (has 2 HDMI inputs) And this is what I have in the way of cables: 1 HDMI cable 1 component video...

HDTV Signal [ 2 Answers ]

I live in RI and my local digital cable provider does not offer an HD channel for FOX or ABC. I was wondering if there is an external antenna I can purchase that will hook into my HD ready TV to get the local HD programming? Or if there are any other options out there besides satellite...

View more questions Search