Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrscbocanegra Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2011, 11:29 AM
    Plug out in the front of the house and the back of the house
    Tried the breakers off and on and still not working? The breaker box does not indicate (front or back plugs)What do we need to do?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2011, 11:45 AM

Hi Mrscbocanegra...

Most likely the outside receptacles are GFCI protected and it is very possible that the GFCI was somehow interrupted and the receptacle "tripped" the safety at the receptacle itself. If the receptacle tripped at one plug and that plug feeds the front (or back) receptacle then both receptacles would be down.

Here, go to each outside receptacle and press the RESET button on the receptacle. Do it at both receptacles.

If resetting the tripped button doesn't restore power, OR the receptacles don't have GFCI protection at the receptacles then you may have a separate GFCI breaker back at the panel (or sub panel box) or I have even seen people connect these outside receptacles to the KITCHEN GFCI circuit, so don't forget to check that all kitchen ooutlets are working, too... if not, reset the tripped oulet and that may restore all... ;)

Check out this video for more info.:

That's where I would start. Back to you...

Mark

Jun 11, 2011, 11:53 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Recepticles don't have reset buttons. Are they on the inside?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2011, 11:57 AM

Could be protected back at the panel or at a sub panel alongside the panel...

Otherwise, if you or someone you know is handy, you'll need to get an electrical tester and start testing the lines until you can isolate the issue to a particular receptacle, a junction box or back at the breaker. It certainly could be a bad breaker, too... need to test!

Mark
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2011, 12:21 PM

I may ask a silly question, I will assume they were working.
    Not you moved to a new home and they are just not working ?

Have you went under the house and followed the wiring to see what circuit it is on. Have you tested the breaker to see if the breaker is good

Jun 11, 2011, 12:22 PM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Sorrry, can you explain "testing the lines"? I am electrically illiterate... lol. I need a book and pictures... like for dummies.

Jun 11, 2011, 12:32 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    The house is fairly new 10 yrs old. It was working... my son went out this morning and was using a trimmer to trim the bushes and it just went out. I don't know which breaker it is because they are all labeled except for the front and back recepticals. I turned them "all off and then back on" and it still did not do the trick.

Jun 11, 2011, 12:33 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    There is no under the house . It is built on solid ground.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2011, 03:57 PM

By test the lines, I mean to use an electrical tester to test the wires for power.

Here, I have to say, that if you don't know more than you present about electricity than you probably shouldn't be messing with this at this time. Call in a local electrician and have him test the receptacles, the wires and the breaker itself. For an electrician, this will take very little time. For a novice, well, it could get someone seriously injured or even killed!

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is this PVC pipe in front of my house? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pvc pipe that says spears usa on the cap. It comes about 4inches out of the ground and is directly in front of my house right up next to the foundation. Nobody can tell me what it is? Brand new construction home built in 2010. It goes into the basement and looks like its connected to...

Cats keep in the front and back of my house [ 4 Answers ]

For the about 2 months I have had about 5 different cats in the front of my house and the back of my house. They keep looking through my windows. When they are at the front of my house they sit on my step and meoaw at me. They have tried to get in my house as well. Is there a reason for this...

Two Vents in Front of House [ 1 Answers ]

I hv two vents in front of the house as seen in attachment. During last summer, the area around the vents was full of water. At the same water was coming out under the furnace. This happened 3 times and only when the rain was heavy. AND ONLY around the furnace! Does anyone know what are...

Trimming the front of my house [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to put Hardiboard on the back and the sides of my house, and putting cedar Shakes on the front. I am having a little bit of trouble on the way I should trim it. I am using smart board for all the corners but I don't think I should put smartboard on the front for the shakes. If I don't...

View more questions Search