Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 11:36 PM
    Using hobbies as a way to procrastinate
    I find myself diving into various hobbies, when there are a number of other things that would be a much better use of my time.

Any suggestions to get me to prioritize and quit putting things off... some of those things would be a great benefit to me, but I also don't want to spend a lot of time and fail at them... so I think that is my reason for procrastination? Or maybe, I am just going for the more immediate pleasure to put off things that do not have a sure outcome?

Any thoughts are welcomed...
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 01:31 AM
    Your mind needs a tuneup -- get focused and fired up

How To Stop Procrastinating

stop procrastination - Google Search

stop procrastination cd, Education Learning, Weird Stuff items on eBay.com
    bosco_ette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Good thinking about why you do the things you do.
    Many people never stop to ask themselves WHY.
    You are the only one who can answer it but If you want to get out a paper or note pad and think about what happened just before you decided to change gears in might give you an insight. If you find that you get side tracked about everything that's a whole different issue. I find that if I hold myself accountable to a group, member of my family, or a friend I meet with weekly to just ask me what progress have I made this week THEN I will make myself do what needs to be done, at least the night before I am going to meet with them.. But over weeks and months I can actually get Real progress! Like a degree in college or a losing of 20 excess lbs, or removing the clutter and having a garage sale in my home. Get a buddy and Plan to succeed and then get yourself a present for the accomplishment!
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 11:39 PM
    Firstly, what are your hobbies? They may not all be complete time wasters if any of them fit in with the overall direction you want to take.

Clear a space, pour a glass of wine and write down what you want in your life to do with work, pleasure, creativity, spirituality, health, friendship, and any other important criteria that has special meaning for you.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 04:30 AM
    Well, some of the big time killer hobbies for me have included doing genealogy research, and playing computer games. I enjoy doing it, but I have realized that I was overdoing it at the expense of some things such as job searches that could have a much better impact on my life... I am working (not totally shirking responsibility) but I have been procrastinating about a search for another job... just maintaining status quo I suppose for a variety of reasons. Fear of the outcome is probably the biggest reason, along with a general feeling of being unsure of where to begin the hunt... and how it will change my life... as in what will be more difficult as a result of change... hope that helps explain... oh, and it will take me one more year to complete educational requirements for the field I am working toward... so, my plan is to try to focus in during that time on the hunt, and best approaches about what I need to be doing.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 04:42 AM
    Okay ~ that's not so difficult. What sort of work and study are you doing at the moment, and what do you want to do?

Genealogy is fascinating stuff, so I can understand you getting caught up. However, given it's to do family origins, it's great for putting your own life in perspective. It certainly isn't a waste of time. I play online scrabble... having reached a rating of just over 1000 at the moment. Masters ratings are around 1600+ so I have way to go lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No-compete clause vs hobbies [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I started an entertainment magazine four years ago that I sold to another company through a merger last year. The merger didn't work out for me and we're trying to resolve the dissolution. My former partner is being very difficult though and intends to get everything and more. In addition...

I have no hobbies too.bad! [ 11 Answers ]

I feel I have no hobbies too! Job is boring, life is boring! Every day I want to do is waiting for off duty, then go home, watching TV or listening to music, or sleeping. And I do the same things at my weekend! I do not want to go outside, unless I have to do something shopping, always prefer to...

What are your hobbies [ 15 Answers ]

Dear memebers, Would u help a 24/7 single hard worker find a hobby please?:D I mean, I do hang out with my girl friends, going to nursing home help with the elders. I do read, study about plants and acupuncture. I want to play golf but it's kind of expensive for me at this moment. What...

View more questions Search