Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladbugjones Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2004, 09:20 AM
    Credit Card debt
    Is it legal for a credit card company (Sears) to garnish your wages? And have access to your bank account? i.e to know when and how much money you deposite in your checking account.
    caelamccloud Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2004, 10:07 AM
    Re: Credit Card debt
    Absolutely! Yes, it sounds crazy, but it's perfectly legal. Highly unethical, but very legal. The best option for you now (in my opinion) is to call Sears and make some kind of payment arrangement and get something IN WRITING saying that they will stop the garnishment. After you have that, close the checking account that which they have access, and send the payments in the form of money orders from now on. Never ever ever let a creditor get hold of your checking account number!!
    swalther Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 04:09 PM
    It's only legal because you gave Sears your account #. All you have to do is change your bank and NEVER let anyone access to it.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 06:41 PM
    IF they've obtained a judgement against you, then yes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt.. Not sure what to do [ 14 Answers ]

I recevied a summons at my place of employment to apprear in court. The two credit cards I owe money to I guess are trying to collect. The plaintiff is Unifund CCR Partners, I am of course the defendant.I have tried about 10 lawyers in the last 2 weeks to contact me with the free advise I need but...

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Credit Card Debt Should I Pay? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My Father Was Given A Credit Card Several Years Ago And Was Financially Unable To Pay It Off. Now He Has Been Served With A Court Date To Pay This Credit Card. He Does Not Own Anything And Is On Social Security, I Heard That There Is Nothing They Can Do To Him To Make Him Pay This Now. Please...

Old credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have an account that has not had any activity on it since 2/02. No payment was made on this account for about 6 months prior to that. I ran into financial difficulties because of medical reasons and had a loss of income. Recently another company has contacted me concerning this account because...

View more questions Search