Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PedroBurro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 06:53 PM
    Can I bypass the sink and connect my dishwasher drain to the house's main drain?
    Do I need to connect the dishwasher drain to my sink, or can I hook it to the main drain of my house? The distance from the dishwasher to the sink is more than the 10ft limit imposed by most major dishwasher brands. If I connected to the main drain of the house, the pipes would go down the entire way.

Thanks!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 05:23 AM

Hi Pedro

You can bypass the sink drain and connect into the main waste line ONLY if you plan to install a PTRAP and a VENT.

For a quick installation you can hook into the main drain and then install a PTRAP and a mechanical vent (called an AAV)... see image. These AAVs are not code legal in most areas. You would pipe it up much like the picture below and you would only need to install 1.5" pipe/trap/AAV (the standpipe could be 24").

Otherwise, you'd need to install the PTRAP and run an 1.5" vent to the nearest vent in the house... can be quite a project!

You could also pipe this up to the existing sink drain by looping the dishwasher drain hose up high under the countertop and pitching it back toward the sink drain... works just fine for most applications like this.

Questions? Let us know...

Mark
    Attached Images

PedroBurro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 05:02 PM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Thanks for your help Mark. A follow-up question: how firm is the 10ft length limit that most dishwasher manufacturers set for dishwasher drain lines? Would it be up to code to go beyond that length?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 06:11 PM

I think the 10 foot number is a pretty average number and if you start high and let gravity assist the flow of dishwasher waste you can surely push the limits a few feet... ;)

Are you planning on installing an AIR GAP or a HIGH LOOP on the dishwasher discharge? Either one should start you high enough to allow gravity to assist you.

If you don't know about the air gap or the high loop let me know and I'll explain, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water is always coming from my air gap.When I bypass it the dishwasher won't drain. [ 3 Answers ]

Water is always coming from my air gap.When I bypass it the dishwasher won't drain.I am not sure how to fix this. Any suggestions?

How do I connect a bathroom sink drain to a cast iron toilet drain [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a leaky one and a quarter inch lead drain pipe that goes from the sink to the toilet. It is about 30" long and connects to the cast iron toilet drain, through a large cast iron nut which appears to screw into the side of the drain. All of this is located in a powder room in...

How do I hook up a dishwasher drain that is not located near a sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a disher in an island, there is no sink to run the drain to. I can access to a drain line under the floor but don't know the proper method of hooking it up. Any help out there? speve48

Sink drain overflow into dishwasher drain hose. [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced my GE Triton Profile Performance dishwasher and installed a new Bosch SHE55M0 today. After completing the installation, I ran my sink faucet, and noticed that some water was passing back through the dishwasher drain hose back toward the direction of the dishwasher. The only reason that...

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

View more questions Search