Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elgatto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 05:25 AM
    How do I connect a bathroom sink drain to a cast iron toilet drain
    I am trying to replace a leaky one and a quarter inch lead drain pipe that goes from the sink to the toilet. It is about 30" long and connects to the cast iron toilet drain, through a large cast iron nut which appears to screw into the side of the drain. All of this is located in a powder room in the basement - cement floor. I sawed off the rotten part to leave about 5 inches of lead pipe, but a previous owner must have kinked the pipe and the solder where it connects to the cast iron nut is split. My original plan was to connect to the lead pipe using a fernco. But now I am thinking I should replace the lead pipe with PVC. I guess the nut can be unscrewed from the cast iron- but I am working in a small hole (12 inches wide and 2 feet long) and I am afraid I will cause more problems if I try to remove the nut. The nut is about 5 inches below the toilet flange. How can I get rid of the lead and use PVC to the sink?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2009, 05:35 AM
    Can you send us a picture? Regards. Tom
    elgatto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 10:00 AM

I am 15 miles from the house. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow. Thanks, Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect plastic toilet flange to cast iron drain [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing a toilet on a concrete floor in my basement. I plan on tiling the floor so I want to tile first and then replace the toilet so it sits on top of the tile. I removed the old toilet and found a cast iron drain pipe, a mangled metal flange and some type of rubber stopper the previous...

How do I remove cast iron/possibly brass plug from cleanout drain in bathroom? [ 9 Answers ]

My bathroom sink is plugged solid. I tried to use snake under sink but can't seem to get it in very far. There is an old corroded clean out sticking out of the wall behind the toilet so I removed the toilet to get at it but it doesn't budge. It has a square nut on the top of what looks to be a...

How do I seal pvc toilet flange to cast iron drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought a house with damaged toilet. Existing plumbing is pvc toilet flange inserted into cast iron drain line. The flange is loose and needs to be refastened to the floor, subfloor condition permitting . How do I seal the pvc toilet flange to cast iron drain pipe to ensure no sewer gas leak?

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Moving cast iron toilet drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. First off, I have been reading some posts on toilet moving and I must say I am really impressed by the members here. Many of you are very thorough and thoughtful in your posts. All right, so here's my problem. I would like to move a toilet over about a foot in my bathroom. I will be...

View more questions Search