Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    121help Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Gas insert burns 2 minutes and goes out?
    I moved into a 4 year old house and when I lite my gas insert it burns for about 2 minutes and goes out. Dis-connected the thermostat wire, thinking that would help, but the problem wasn't solved. Continues to go out. I have no problem with the pilot staying lit. any ideas?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Gas insert what? What kind of appliance and model name.

Jan 15, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Fireplace insert. I don't know the brand, model# is 110951B.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Possible O2 sensor problem, but you didn't give us much info' to go on.

Jan 15, 2008, 11:00 AM
    The only other information I could tell you is when the flame goes out after about 2 minutes, the gas continues to run... is this any help. Thanks so much for your in-put. May need to just get a new insert.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 11:05 AM
    The gas continuous to flow after ignition and then the flames go out? Do the flames get real lazy and start rolling around? Is there enough air being provided for combustion?

Jan 16, 2008, 07:58 AM
    No, the flames "do not" get lazy or roll around. They just die and the gas continues to run. I don't feel its an air flow problem.
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 16, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 121help
    no, the flames "do not" get lazy or roll around. they just die and the gas continues to run. i don't feel its an air flow problem.

I do!
    Any way to remove the front glass and test run the unit for a few minutes? If it stays on you have a venting or combustion air issue and will need a technician. If it again fails within a few minutes, you have a bad gas valve and again will need a technician. Oh what the hay, call a technician anyway!:D

Jan 16, 2008, 12:36 PM
    There is no front glass. Its just a fireplace insert. So are you talking a heating and air technician?
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 16, 2008, 02:16 PM
    No glass, You must have a bad gas valve. Call your gas company if they offer service.

Jan 16, 2008, 05:30 PM
    I am a dumb girl and learning as I go... went to Lowe's today and they suggested replacing the thermo-coupler. After seeing the prices on a new gas log, I will try anything. Would like to use it before spring hits in Arkansas, which is just a few weeks away. I will take your suggestion and call the gas company tomorrow. Thank-you so much for your in-put. I have already gone through a plumber and an electrician. I will call the gas company and if that fails, next will be heating and air. I just want to use my fireplace. Thermo-coupler was only $9.95, think I can do that one myself. We will see. Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 07:36 PM
    You need to find a good looking guy that knows how to fix things. LOL. In my case I am old and not good looking but my wife says I can fix anything. LOL.
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Thermocouple makes no sense. You said it stays lit. If the thermocouple cools the gas valve closes and the pilot light must be relit. From what you are telling us I would need to see what happens to the gas output pressure from the valve before I would suggest anything else. Either way the situation of dumping raw fuel into a confined space is very dangerous. Hire a company that sells these things (yellow pages) or stop using it.

Jan 20, 2008, 08:02 AM
    I called the gas company and they will be here Monday afternoon. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sunbeds and Bad Burns! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm looking for some help and advise please.. One of my best friends went to a tanning centre yesterday and used a sunbed for the first time and was on it for around 12mins. Today when they woke up they are red all over like they have really bad sun burn and I mean they are bright red...

Engine burns oil and smoke from the exost [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1991 honda civic and it burns oil and black smoke comes from the exost pipe and I was wondering if there is any way to fix that problem or if it will cost too muc h too fix.

Power saw burns on wood [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to remove burn marks from a table saw blade from wood? I can't sand very much without damaging the item. Is there solvent, etc. which would take out the burn marks without damaging the wood. Thanks.

Is there anything for burns? [ 5 Answers ]

I burn myself on a motorcycle on my leg and ankle is there anything for that> and will this leave apermanent scar>? :'(

3-way bulb burns out and trips breaker? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a burnt 3-way bulb fail and trip the breaker? I was away on vacation with a timer on the light in question and when I came home the breaker that powers the circuit was dead and the 3-way bulb was burnt out. I replaced the bulb and all is fine now.

View more questions Search