Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hollz Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2015, 09:52 AM
    Thinking About Being A Lawyer
    Hi, wasn't sure if I should put this in education or not, so sorry if it is in the wrong place.
    I have been doing a criminal law project at school and I'm really (!! ) enjoying it and finding it really interesting.
    If I wanted to be a criminal lawyer, would I do a degree in criminal law or just law. How does it work? I live in Scotland so I don't know if that changes anything. Thanks for the help!! Xxx
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 17, 2015, 10:41 AM
    Hey guy. I think all lawyers start being accepted to law school and specialize after they get a degree. How old are you? A good school counselor can steer you in the right direction.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 17, 2015, 10:41 AM
    How does it work?
    I am not sure about Scotland. Here in the US, most commonly a juris doctorate (doctor of law) is the degree required for being an attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by taliniman
    I think all lawyers start being accepted to law school and specialize after they get a degree.
    OP wants to "specialize" in criminal law, I see. As I say, I'm not sure about Scotland, but here most lawyers only "specialize" by practicing in one area more than in another. There is no separate degree, that I know of, for "criminal" law, as opposed to any other kind.

Mar 17, 2015, 10:49 AM
    I am 14 (nearly 15 :-P) and my career advsior only works 2 days a week, I've never actually seen him (never mind met) and most of his appointments are taken up by the cant be bothered going to uni, want to live on benefits for the rest of their life types so I'm afraid he won't b much help. (Typical crappy scottish state school) Thank you for your help, I wasn't really sure where else to ask. :-)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 17, 2015, 11:10 AM
    I can advise you then. Get great grades and have good study habits and take the best courses to qualify for college. Google how to become a lawyer, and start getting your ducks in a row because the next 4 years are crucial to get into a great school and pay for it.

I see you have your hopes up for Stanford and that's a great school, but one of many, so hit them books hard and don't look up until you graduate with top honors.

One other thing too, make an appointment with this advisor, or talk to a trusted respected teacher. They may be able to guide you to the strong academic courses you need NOW.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 17, 2015, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollz View Post
    I am 14 (nearly 15 :-P) and my career advsior only works 2 days a week, I've never actually seen him (never mind met) and most of his appointments are taken up by the cant be bothered going to uni, want to live on benefits for the rest of their life types so I'm afraid he won't b much help. (Typical crappy scottish state school) Thank you for your help, I wasn't really sure where else to ask. :-)
    Don't knock your school. It probably is better then any you would attend in the US.

Mar 17, 2015, 12:04 PM
    Thank you so much for all your help. :-) I cant tell you how much I appreciate it. :-) :-) I think now I'm defenitely going for either marine biology or law now. I need chemistry and biology for marine biology and as far as I know I just need english for law (or that's what glasgow uni requires, so I'm going to go with it (but i would still like to go to stanford, or atleast another good uni in the states) and I'm taking all three of those next year (and maths, business and modern studies). So far I have straight As on everything I'm taking next year, but I REALLY want to make a good future for myself so I guess ill take your advice, keep studying and working hard and see how the next few years go. I have my first ever exams in two months so... I guess ill have to wait and see how that works out. Thank you again. :-)

and believe me my school is not good at all. They dont give a crap about any of us. (To tickle)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need a court appt lawyer or diversion lawyer for a duii [ 2 Answers ]

Do I get a court appointed attorney or a diversion lawyer for my dui

Do I need to invest money for a good lawyer for my case or average lawyer it is OK? [ 2 Answers ]

I got married 7 months ago and after a few days the immigration police caught me on Over Stay. I went to prison for a few days. After that, my lawyer send my form I-130 after two or three months after they caught me. A few days ago I had my first court and the judge gave me an extension for another...

Company lawyer or personal lawyer for PERM, I140 & I485 [ 3 Answers ]

Company makes it mandatory to go through their contracted attorneys office for PERM application then I have the choice whether to continue with that attorney for I140 & I485 or choose an independent attorney. Either way I'm paying the fees for both the applications. Any pros or cons on this issue...

What is my ex girlfriend thinking? Could she be thinking about me and what we've lost [ 12 Answers ]

So here's the deal, a little more than a year ago I met this girl. Our chemistry was so fricken intense. We started seeing each other, things felt awesome when we were together. If I were to imagine my perfect love, it would be her. We loved the same music (which is underground and hard to find),...

View more questions Search