Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robinsnest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 08:45 PM
    SSDI Child Support Garnishment
    If I received 970 a month from ssdi and my child support order is for 940.00 a month how much of my ssdi can be garnished for this in Calif.

Thank You

Robin
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Hello Robin:

Ordinarily, ssdi can't be garnished. However, for child support, I think it can. Sorry that I can't be more helpful than that.

excon
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Social Security Payment cannot be garnished by anyone. See this post:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankru...ent-59091.html

SSi is a trust fund and the states cannot garnish it, File notice with the state involved and file exemption with the court.
    butterflie Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Mar 26, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Normal social security disability payments cannot be garnished, but when it comes to child support they most definitely can!! I currently get my child support garnished from my ex husbands disability. SSDI can be touched, its SSI that cannot. I suggest you go to you states child support enforcement website and look around, call them also. There are many things that they can do to collect child support.. garnish any wages, lottery winngings, suspend drivers licenses, deny/revoke passports and jail time. You should definitely call them and contact a lawyer for free advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

SSDI and spousal support [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I know I don't have to pay taxes on my SSDI (social security disability) but do I have to pay taxes on spousal support. Here in Indianapolis, we don't have alimony. But my future ex-husband has to pay me spousal support because I am on SSDI. Thanks Shirley

View more questions Search