Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1000Chris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2005, 08:35 PM
    91 honda civic suddenly cuts out while driving
    I have a 1991 honda civic dx. Worked great until last week when I was stopped at a red light and the engine just cut out. Restarted OK. Then I was cruising down the freeway and the engine suddenly cut out again. I pulled over into the shoulder and it started fine. Now, I can't make a 5 minute trip to the store without it cutting out, and it takes a few tries to start. My mechanic cannot locate the cause. Anyone?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jan 18, 2005, 09:59 AM
    Could this be a clogged fuel filter? My 91 Civic DX started behaving much better once I changed my fuel filter. Even nicer now that I've changed my Oxygen Sensor.
    luvmyhondas Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2005, 04:56 PM
    1000Chris - Did you ever resolve your problem? I'm very interested because I have the same problem.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2005, 06:59 PM
    After fighting a similar problem with my old truck for years, over a year ago, I soldered the riveted together parts of the fuse box. Haven't had a bit of trouble since. Intermittent problems are very hard to find. I think I finally found the problem, just letting the truck set and idle until it stalled, then very carefully checking it with my multimeter. I would work at soldering any riveted connections in places like the fuse box, and also the main relay that seems to be a problem in Hondas.
    neilnn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2005, 12:51 AM
    Car starts on most occasions
    I have the same car 1991
    Honda civic dx. Car works great, but sometimes, the car does not start, but then I let it rest for 5-10 minutes the car starts. What is happen. When the car starts everything is fine. I have changed the trans switch, starter , battery, alternator, and put in fuel injection cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000Chris
    I have a 1991 honda civic dx. Worked great until last week when i was stopped at a red light and the engine just cut out. Restarted OK. Then i was cruising down the freeway and the engine suddenly cut out again. I pulled over into the shoulder and it started fine. Now, i can't make a 5 minute trip to the store without it cutting out, and it takes a few tries to start. My mechanic cannot locate the cause. Anyone?

Sep 3, 2005, 03:35 PM
    Try to resolder your main relay.

Read the FAQ.
    freshlane Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Oct 18, 2005, 06:20 PM
    DID YOU EVER FDIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM CUZ MY CAR IS A 91 DX like yours and is doing the same thing

Oct 19, 2005, 08:16 AM
    Found The Problem
    I took it to my Mechanic and he said it was a simple but yet easily over looked problem. He fixed it. The problem was a loose wire to the alternator. The car dies because the alternator loses a electric connection. Just check the wires and you'll see
    91 civi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2005, 03:23 PM
    Intermittant starting
    I have a 91 civic si. Sometimes it will not start. I let it sit 2 - 3 min. or so and then it will start fine. It has 380,000 km. I changed the throttle pos. sensor and the distributor but no change. Also it seems to happen more frequently when the weather is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by neilnn
    i have the same car 1991
    honda civic dx. car works great, but sometimes, the car does not start, but then i let it rest for 5-10 minutes the car starts. what is happen. when the car starts everything is fine. i have changed the trans switch, starter , battery, alternator, and put in fuel injection cleaners.
    91 civi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2005, 03:32 PM
    Civic engine swap
    I heard that the 91 acura engine will swap straight into a 91 civic. Anyone know which engine fits or done it?

Nov 3, 2005, 04:08 PM
    I'm 99% sure your starting problem is related to a faulty Main Relay. Have you read the FAQ?

About the swap: What is the engine code of the engine in the 91 Acura? What is the engine code of the original engine in the 91 Civic?

Generally, if you want to swap a D series engine in a car that already had a D series engine in it (for instance, swap a D16A8 into a car with D15B2), it would bolt right in. If you plan on swapping a B series engine, you will need engine mounts.

There are a lot more issues, like switching engine harness, OBD-0 <-> OBD-1 <-> OBD-2 issues, transmissions, shift linkage... just search the net, there's a LOT of information available.

Nov 3, 2005, 05:12 PM
    Found prob
    Nopes... igniter coil and distributer
    daNn Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2005, 04:02 PM
    Civic
    Hi
    This is the first time I have posted anywhere so excuse me if I don't do it completely right

Anyway... I had the same problem with my 91 civic si except I was moving at about 80 kms an hour...

Me and a buddy tried everything that we could in the parking lot I was lucky enough to roll to a stop in with no luck. When we towed it back to his garage we took most of the electrical apart and found nothing. At that point we thought that it might be fuel related and took most of that apart. Needless to say that was not it... on a last ditch effort we pulled the distributor apart and low and behold the rotor had popped off and wasn't able to spin. Be careful if you do open up your distributor because we lost the little set screw.. in gravel... that was an ordeal.. but after we got the screw back in it started. I went out and bought a new alternator... by the way they cost A lot... and since then I haven't had a problem with my car dying anymore :)

Nov 11, 2005, 04:07 PM
    Civic
    Hey I meant distributor not alternator

Nov 12, 2005, 04:30 PM
    Na
    I also meant to ask if it turns over or not?
    Van Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 03:33 PM
    I have the same problem on my Honda civic 92 twin cabi, where the engine cut off after 5 to 20 minutes driving , and getting worse on the hot day. We replaced the distributor and problem free ever since.
    :)

Nov 25, 2005, 03:37 PM
    Distributor
    Expensive aren't they?

I ended up with the aftermarket one and stiull paid 400 buck with a sizable discount

Dec 4, 2005, 08:21 PM
    Just when I tought it was all OK :(... my car also died again. I took it to an import shop and THEY FIXED IT!! It was the ignitor I believe... if not it is the distributor for sure... you are probably getting one off eBay for dirt cheap PEACE (thecsrs.com)
    Crozier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2005, 06:19 AM
    Civic cutting out when hot
    I have also had this problem with both my 91 Civics around 287,000 kms. My car would not start when hot and would cut out when at stop signs or when turning (usually across traffic! ). Due in part to main relay (easy fix) and also from worn out distributor. Problem did not return after these repairs.
    E-honda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2005, 02:46 PM
    Stalling problems": Please check fuel pump condition
    From all indications of problems above I would recommend you check the condition of your fuel pump units. These units all have electric motors which eventually tire out then heat up and fail,if they cool down they start running again which is the period in between the wait and starting once more.. The fuel Tank themselves often have lots of dirt and dust clogging the pick up point of the pump thus overworking the pump.. these are issues to check.. if this does not work then let me know as these cars were made to run for almost forever... E-Honda

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

98 Honda Civic Shuts off while driving [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here is the freakin problem... I can be driving and my car will completely shut off. The radio will turn off and turn back on, but the power steering goes out, the blinker won't work and then the lights on the dash board will blink on and off with a sound of a clicking noise that sounds...

91' honda civic stalled while driving? [ 6 Answers ]

:( I was driving my 91' honda civic hatchback when it just stalled as I'm driving. I thought it might have been my battery so we put a new battery in but that wasn't it. It sounds like it's going to start but just doesn't fire up. I was told to check the ECU for the error codes but it only blinked...

92 Honda suddenly stops [ 2 Answers ]

The problem with this car is driving me crazy. Car starts I am driving for a while and just stops. One time it happened at a red light another time while I was driving. When it stops the radio is still playing, I can use the hazzard lights but the power stearing is out. After a while, it starts...

1991 civic ex cuts off while going 65 and won't start back up! [ 1 Answers ]

First of all i am female...dont know to much about cars. The other day i was going about 65 mph and my car just cut off....I got it to the side of the road and it started up but then cut right back off. Then about 6 hours later we went to get it and it started up fine. The next day it did the...

View more questions Search