Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bob A Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2005, 07:57 PM
    Can't delete .dll file
    I downloaded Thunderbird 1.6.0 after much delays and restarts. Tried to install it
    But got a 'pop-up' from 7-ZIP "Unspecified error." I don't use 7-ZIP but it is on my machine. Tried to delete it but was denied as "it was in use." I nibbled at the files, deleting each segment one by one. Got it down to a .dll and finally got that deleted. But would you believe that it, although "gone" acts like it is still there and is still putting out that pop-up and blocking me from installing my email program. What the Heck?
    Bob A
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2005, 01:37 AM
    You shouldn't uninstall something by just deleting the files. Things will get missed and you'll just get problems like this. Next time, go to the control panel and use Add/Remove Programs.

Sounds like 7-Zip has something like a service running that's using the DLL in question. Try Start >> Run >> MSConfig and check the services and startup tabs to see if there is anything related to 7-ZIP and if there is, remove them. Then restart and you shuold be able to remove the DLL.

There still might be things you haven't removed though - registry keys etc. The best thing to do might be to download and reinstall 7-ZIP then remove it uising Add/Remove Programs as this should get it all.
    mistiwalters Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2005, 08:51 AM
    WS2LTREP.exe and HTTMQRT.exe errors
    Hi

I have a question?
    When I go to shut down windows XP I get two Error messages
    WS2LTREP.exe
    DLL Initialization Failed
    And
    HTTMQRT.exe
    DLL Initialization Failed

They pop up when I try to close windows and you have to hit the OK button 50 million times before windows will shut down

Can someone help me
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 23, 2005, 12:55 PM
    Errors - cleaners
    I have found the following in my subscribed membership site, maybe this might help you get rid of files that are called 'orphans'. Read up on it and try it. Good Luck.

CCleaner
    A system optimization tool that removes unused & temporary files from the system, allowing it to run faster, more efficiently, and giving more hard disk space. Requires Windows 98 & later.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

These files could be residue from what you 'deleted' instead of uninstalled, and are still in the registry.

drmusic4771 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 12:22 AM
    Comment on Chery's post
    It worked for me for some reason when I tried to uninstall winzip 7 it kept saying program fileswinziphlp.txt or something like that and was in use so I would not uninstall until I took your advice and it worked thanks so much it was so annoying.
    drmusic4771 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 12:22 AM
    Comment on Chery's post
    Ccleaner worked for me!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to delete the core40.dll file [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone , I installed developer 2000 and now I need to uninstall it . I manually deleted all the files in the bin. But a few dll files are still there.. like core40.dll file... so how do you remove them ? It says... " disk is write protected ."

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

Can't Delete GIF Image [ 2 Answers ]

In my temporary internet files there's a file or cookie labelled as a GIF image that I can't seem to delete. I've tried it in safe mode too with no success. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Delete file from My Music [ 7 Answers ]

Any Expert, I got a problem to delete a file from My Music folder. It is a AVI video file about 192MB size. I think I accidentally downloaded it to My Music folder a couple months ago. But when I tried to delete it, it always gives the error dialog that like "cannot delete: It is being used by...

View more questions Search