Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jewishbee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 09:44 PM
    Dying your hair black
    I'm considering dying my hair black but I've heard that it's unhealthy in some ways. I was wonderinf if any of you know if it's harmful?
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2006, 12:35 AM
    What u mean unhealthy?

Dye ? Colour itself is bad for the hair it being black, blonde or brown!
    All dye has paroxide!
    HunieLiaka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2006, 11:11 AM
    Well if your are going to dye your hair black definitely definitely go to a Salon! Black hair dye is really really hard to get out of the hair. It will be really hard for you to get the black dye out without bleaching or lifiting. Also if you pick up natural black hair dye or any black hair dye, it might, most likely, come out jet black. < then you will defentiely have to go to a salon to get it out.
    jewishbee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2006, 11:14 AM
    What I meant by harmful was.. is black hair dye ESPECIALLY harmful? Like in any different ways from other colors of hair dye?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jul 18, 2006, 07:59 PM
    Jewishbee, it's not harmful to dye your hair black. People use black hair dye on their hair all the time. If your scalp is healthy, you can dye your hair every 6 weeks. It's difficult to lighten your hair, but it's easier to darken it. You can dye your hair at home, just be sure to follow the directions on the box.
    Nice1 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jewishbee
    i'm considering dying my hair black but i've heard that it's unhealthy in some ways. i was wonderinf if any of you know if it's harmful??
    I'm not aware of no harm with the black hair, but if you have concerns. Try to buy one of those healthy Vegetable dyes. No ammonia dyes are good too with maybe a light peroxide. Also remember one thing, once you go black is hard to change your mind. If you want to dye your hair, make sure that it is a decision you want to make. If after thinking it over, if you are doubting dye it the darkest brown possible because it will actually look like if it was a lighter black. If you still want to dye it black, make sure that you know that changing it to another color will consist of using bleach. If you plan to stay with it permanently then enjoy. I think black hair looks nice and shiny. It also have that healthy glow. Buy the way, Olive oil does wonders to the hair.Good luck!
    lam2345 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jewishbee
    i'm considering dying my hair black but i've heard that it's unhealthy in some ways. i was wonderinf if any of you know if it's harmful??
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I remember back in the 80's when it came to light that black hair dye could be dangerous to our health. There are two types of dye to be aware of: the progressively darkening type which contains (contained?) lead acetate and permanent dye. Try googling the following terms (and maybe add the words "hair dye" to get more specific results): 4-methoxy-m-phenylenediamine ; 4-chloro-m-phenylenediamine ; 2,4-toluenediamine These are ingredients in some permanent hair dyes that are reported to penetrate skin and potentially cause health problems. So it's probably as a result of this information that you've heard that black hair dye can be harmful.

As far as dying your hair black goes, I'd personally use a semi-permanent color at least initially. It still lasts for quite a while, up to a month even, but will eventually fade out unlike the permanent dye. :)
    xspacebunnyxx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 08:27 AM

I had light blonde hair for 16years then started to bleach it with schwarzkopf live color xxl in platinum it took my hair from plain light blonde to virtually white, then I decided to be different and I got a schwarzkopf tint in black for £1.90 and schwarzkopf live color xxl in deep black. The tint coloured my hair black and the deep black made it's a really strong colour and since then my hair has been in the best condition its ever been in so I think if you want to do it just do it its only hair and it can be changed personally it's a shock initially but then its only hair and hair can be changed.. . Good luck with whatever you choose :)
    one_day_perfect Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2010, 04:55 AM
    Ok, YES. Dying your hair black is just as bad as bleaching it. The chemicals used to dye your hair black are harsher than any other color, it is just as bad as bleaching. You should always go to a stylist to dye your hair black, because the chemicals a stylist use are custom made, and ALWAYS less harmful than box dies. Box dies are designed to penetrate the hair shaft far more quickly than salon dies, and in turn they are harsher and more aggressive, ruining more of the hair's cuticle layer, resulting in far more damage than at home dies. Trust me-I went through two years of professional cosmetology.
    SillySceneKidsx Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 02:52 PM

I've died my hair for four years.
    My hair has been blue, purple, pink, blond, black,
    Nothing bad can happen if you dye it black that I've heard of.
    But, if you hair feels brittle when you wash it.
    Use Rusk Sensories Brilliance Conditioner.
    It's a leave in conditioner spray you spray in your hair after you've taken a shower.
    I recommend using Tresseme Shampoo & Conditioner
    Or Vo5 Tea Therapy Shampoo & the matching conditioner.
    It makes your hair feel great.
    lolly277 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Well, I dyed my hair recently from blonde to black and I love it. Sure, It's a little damaging to your hair, but all dye's are going to be. Of course, you have to be sure you want it black, because you won't be able to get back to your natural colour without bleaching or stripping your hair afterwards, but if you're sure you want to do it, and you don't think you'll want to change back, the go ahead! Mine look way better. :)
    lolly277 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Well, I dyed my hair recently from blonde to black and I love it. Sure, It's a little damaging to your hair, but all dye's are going to be. Of course, you have to be sure you want it black, because you won't be able to get back to your natural colour without bleaching or stripping your hair afterwards, but if you're sure you want to do it, and you don't think you'll want to change back, the go ahead! Mine look way better. :)
    AmandaMargret Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 01:12 PM
    I'm not sure about that health issues but I know one thing I dyed my hiar black and it looks good but I'm tired of it and have been trying to go back to my natural blonde but the black is so hard to get out so I don't recommend it
    livliv32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2011, 08:31 PM
    I want to dye my hair black too.. kind of, I'm just afraid it will look bad, ruin my hair or worse.. it will never go back to the beautifully brown curly way it is now.. I need advise.
    burrito360 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2011, 08:08 AM
    I dyed my hair black after having it blonde and nothing happened just that my hair feels more rough now :P but oh well I regret dying it black... life sucks...
    lanzarote06 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2011, 03:33 AM
    Yeah don't dye you hair black, if you want to, go dark go for dark brown, I dyed my hair dark dark brown and it went black,and I'm 16 now, I haven't dyed my hair for 6months now so I thought I would go dark brown it went black and now my hair is falling out! I was nearly crying to see how much hair is falling out! But that's my hair, it might not happen to your hair xxx good luckk :)
    krisakrisa444 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2013, 05:30 PM
    I am currently using black hairdye, my natural color is a medium brown and my hair was very damaged BEFORE using the hairdye. When I dyed my hair it looked and felt healthier. If u get a good natural hairdye and make sure to use lots of any conditioner that comes with it then there is nothing unhealthy about black hairdye. As long as you make sure you use conditioner and don't apply a lot of heat.
    burg2123 Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Jan 22, 2013, 03:39 PM
    Hello, it's not but remember once you go back you can't go back. Think about it twice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black Hair [ 8 Answers ]

I have long, thick, curly hair, which is naturally a honey blonde colour. I've had it black for the past 2 years or so, and I've decided I'd really like something different. Basically, I would like to have the top half of my hair still black, and the bottom half an electric blue or hot pink...

HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair [ 42 Answers ]

Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it. I naturally have dark...

Dying vaginal hair from brown to platinum [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to dye the hair in my pubic area from brown (with a touch of grey in it) to platinum (yellowish blonde hair - sort of like Gwen Stefani's). How can I do this on my own. It is embarrassing for me to get this done professionally so any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. ...

Dying dark hair red [ 12 Answers ]

I'm going to give a lot of background so forgive me for being wordy. I have naturally dark auburn hair. Actually, it's more dark than it is auburn but the red highlights are definitely there. In fact, I have a natural streak of true carrot-top red on my front hairline and I really love it (my...

Dying hair a lighter color [ 8 Answers ]

Long story short. My hair bleaches out a lot in the sun and I did some stuff to help bleach it out too Anyway yesterday I bought dark brown hair dye so I could get my hair back to normal! But now my hair is like black! I have washed it a lot and its no longer black but it is still a really dark...

View more questions Search