Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kathiesue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2011, 08:23 AM
    If a couple rent a home together, who has the right to evict one of the parties?
    My husband and his wife are getting a divorce. They rent their home together. She is asking him to move out. Who has the right to ask the husband to leave, the wife or Lessor?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2011, 08:26 AM
    Hello k:

Even if HE signed the lease and she didn't, they're BOTH lessors. As such, NEITHER has the right to evict the other.. If they can't decide, the court will.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 1, 2011, 09:30 AM
    This is a matter of negotiation as part of the divorce.

If YOUR husband is getting a divorce, then he is either a bigamist or he isn't your husband yet.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Are you the first or second wife? "MY husband and HIS wife..."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I evict a person from my home who lives here rent free and has no lease? [ 3 Answers ]

You have to go through with a formal eviction since he is considered a resident. You have to give him a written notice that his tenancy is terminated and he must vacate within 30 days. If he hasn't left after the 30 days is up then you have to file a lawsuit for eviction.

How can I evict a squatter from my home who doe not pay rent in California? [ 7 Answers ]

I allowed this person to come in to my home for a few weeks while she was finding assistance. Now she claims that she has California civil rights, and that I must give her 30 days serving of a legal notice from the civil court. In checking, this will cost me $240 simply to file, and she would get...

Can my husband evict me from our home we rent? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I rent a home and he's having an affair and is trying to evict me and our kids can he do this?

Can I evict my tenant after only a couple weeks [ 3 Answers ]

My tenant's rent was due on the 1st of the month. His phone has been disconnected . My son went to his house last night and asked the daughter to have him call me. He will not return my calls. I tried his cell phone, which I guess was a work cell phone and the guy whom answered the phone said...

Evict family who paid rent a couple time [ 5 Answers ]

I let my brother stay with us about 6 years ago. He was to pay rent if he could $200 a month. He paid maybe 3 times in the time he has been here. There were a few rules that he was to obey. 1. no smoking in the house 2. no open flames, candles unless there was a power outage and you...

View more questions Search