Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krrajen Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Confused about NRI Status ?
    Hi

As per Indian IT Act , if a person stays outside India for more than 182 days in a financial year ( I guess April to March) his/her status is considered as NRI. In the following scenario what will be my status ?

I came in USA for 3 months (from 12th feb 2008 to 10th may 2008) on business visa and now I came again on L1 visa and I landed here on 3rd of October 2008. Now if I consider only L1 stay then I have 179 days out side India in a FY, but if I consider my business trip also then I have 218 days out side India. So I am confused whether I am a resident or a NRI.

Rajen
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 03:08 PM

This forum is primarily intended for tax questions regarding U.S. tax law. I can't help you with respect to Indian tax law.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 02:54 AM

You can post your question about India taxes at mytaxes - Index

Mar 6, 2009, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IntlTax View Post
    This forum is primarily intended for tax questions regarding U.S. tax law. I can't help you with respect to Indian tax law.
    Ok, in the above scenario what is my status in USA ? Should I file my returns in USA as resident or non resident ?

Thanks
    Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 09:59 AM

Assuming that you were present in the U.S. for no days during 2007 and 2006, you are a nonresident of the U.S. for the entire year, unless you elect to be treated as dual status (part year resident). If you are married, you can also elect to be treated as a resident for the entire year.

Mar 6, 2009, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IntlTax View Post
    Assuming that you were present in the U.S. for no days during 2007 and 2006, you are a nonresident of the U.S. for the entire year, unless you elect to be treated as dual status (part year resident). If you are married, you can also elect to be treated as a resident for the entire year.
    I was present in USA from 2nd Nov 2006 to 27th Apr 2007 (for almost 6 months) on business visa. I am married and right now in US with family. But during my both business trips I came alone.

Thanks
    Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 11:47 AM

With no elections, under U.S. rules, you are treated as a resident of the U.S. starting on Feb. 12, 2008. This makes you a dual status alien. Since you are married, you can elect to be treated as a resident of the U.S. for the entire year. If you are a resident of a country that has a treaty with the U.S. you may be able to avoid being a U.S. resident until October 3, 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confused over resident/non resident/dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in US on H1B visa from July 22,2007 , along with my wife on H4. I fail the substantial presence test by about 20 days. So should I be filing as Non-resident/resident or dual status ? Talked to one consultant who asked me to file as Non-resident, while another told that it isn't...

On L1A Visa - Confused about residence status & Best way to file [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks in advance for your time. I moved to Chicago, IL from India on October 2, 2007 on an L1A visa. My wife moved on November 25, 2007 on an L2. While both of us have SSNs, neither of us have a state issued driver's license. Both of us expect to be in Chicago for the whole of 2008 with...

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

View more questions Search