Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jul 21, 2010, 01:55 AM
    My mums lap top has a virus...
    Hi guys,

So I got a trojan somehting rather on my mum's lap top and now I can't get it to do any thing. It first asked me to down load something but I wasnt' paying attention so I clicked yes... We all know that's a bad idea, anyway I disconnected it from the internet and stopped it from down loading. Now I turn on the lap top and it tells me that the windows firewall and all that are turned off!:confused: I Tried to turn it on but when I click that button it won turn on.:mad:

Now I have to get this lap top back up and running... My babies pics are on there and the videos I have made for her. (Her mother moved to another city and I don't see her nearly enough, once every 6 months so far... :() Any way any help is much appreciated, so thanks for your time, take care all.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jul 22, 2010, 05:52 AM

Pull the hard drive and connect it through a USB connection kit, they are available from several vendors. With the drive hooked to another computer save the photos and other data out to a second drive and run an anti virus program on the hard drive from your mom's computer. I use a Linux computer to do all this type of work, however a windows computer can e used just remember you are working with a known infected drive. After the data has been saved return the drive to te original computer, format and reinstall all software. If this computer is used like most for browsing email and the like it may be a good time to investigate switching to Linux. If you do stay with Windows GET CARBONITE or another automatic online backup service. Good luck
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 11:29 AM

You can find a good PE disk on the internet and recover your files without disassembly of any kind. You can also check for the virus. The disk boots from CD and is separate from anything you currently are running.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jul 22, 2010, 03:14 PM

You you getting a lot of pop-up messages or warnings that tell you that you have a virus on your computer?
    Try putting the computer into Safemode with networking by pressing the F8 key when you start it up. Then download malaware bits from the internet and run a scan. Then restart the computer.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jul 30, 2010, 05:49 PM

My mums computer crashed so bad I couldn't open anything, and even in safe mode it wouoldn't respond. So I took it in and one guy said 100 for diagnostics 250 to fix. I went to another guy and he said 30 for diagnostics and 90 to fix. It was only 83 in the end.

So the computer works, but it's slow to respond and I'm an idiot and tried to down load an anti-virus program but it was in fact a virus, a trojan again. However I at least put AVG on and it seemed to have stopped the program from taking over, but I'm having a hell of a time locating the virus. Teh AVG thing said it's in the virus vault and I can't do anything with it as It's Free AVG.

The internet works slower and the pages don't show up like they used to. Ex: Facebook, Myyearbook, YouTube. I guess I have to keep at it and sort it out.

Thanks for your help, my mums computer crashed before I could read your answers and she wanted me to get it fixed ASAP so I didn't read your ideas till after but they help me now so thank.s
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 1, 2010, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestorian View Post
    My mums computer crashed so bad I couldn't open anything, and even in safe mode it wouoldn't respond. So i took it in and one guy said 100 for diagnostics 250 to fix. I went to another guy and he said 30 for diagnostics and 90 to fix. It was only 83 in the end.

So the computer works, but it's slow to respond and I'm an idiot and tried to down load an anti-virus program but it was in fact a virus, a trojan again. However i at least put AVG on and it seemed to have stopped the program from taking over, but i'm having a hell of a time locating the virus. Teh AVG thing said it's in the virus vault and I can't do anything with it as It's Free AVG.

The internet works slower and the pages dont' show up like they used to. Ex: Facebook, Myyearbook, youtube. I guess I have to keep at it and sort it out.

Thanks for your help, my mums computer crashed before I could read your answers and she wanted me to get it fixed ASAP so I didnt' read your ideas till after but they help me now so thank.s

I recommend using Avira antivirus. It usually catches viruses as soon as they infect your computer. Ad-Aware by lavasoft is also good for catching fake antivirus. Both are free too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swapping hard drives from Lap Top to Lap top [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks to this forum, we have declared my hard drive on our Dell laptop corrupt. We have another Dell LAptop that has a good hard drive but the monitor hinge part is broken and it just flops around. I was wondering if we could take out the hard drive from the broken screen one and put it in the lap...

Lap top charger. [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a lap top about 8 months ago and its been a decent computer but not there is a big issue. The computer will only stay on when the thing is pluged in... kinda ruins the mobile computer thing.

Lap top [ 5 Answers ]

How can I un look my ibm thinkpad t20

Can I back up my desk top onto my lap top? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a desk top and a lap top which have wireless connection to the internet. My lap top has no ethernet port and my desk top has no infra red. Can you suggest how I can use my lap top to back up my desk top? Would USB to USB work?

Lap top help [ 7 Answers ]

I got this lap top for Christmas and need someone to check it over. I am sending all the info about it. It is "slow". And the username is not mine--how do I change that? What can I put in it to go faster---or take out? Gloria ...

View more questions Search