Vision Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Black Nail Polish
    Classy or trashy?

*There's no wrong answer, I just want opinions*
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 09:52 PM
    If it goes with your outfit or your style and doesn't STAND OUT or look out of place on you then I would say it could be nice. Just like wearing a hat some people look outstanding in a hat while others look like they have something plopped on their head.
    An accent on them like a little diamond decal or something would look nice too.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Had to spread the rep n0help.

I definitely agree. It really depends on how you put it together, very much like any accessory.

Black nail polish, with fishnet stocking, and white/black striped top... screams goth and bad taste.

Black nail polish with a dark dress... is tasteful.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 10:12 PM
    What about black polish with a cream colored suit and black silk shirt?
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 10:21 PM
    Hm. I could see it potentially working. Do you have long nails or short nails? Also, what's the occasion?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 09:29 AM
    How about black nail polish but a different colour tip.. say black with pink tipps, or black and white tipps with silver diagonal line across and silver small spots either side of the line.

I know it sounds odd but it's all the rage over here and I have to say looks really effective.
    You could use all different colour combinations, try drawing a picture with different colour nails you'll see what I mean... hopefully

I work with a girl who wears black nail varnish and yes she is a goth, but she's only 16, it really suits her personality though.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 10:16 AM
    While I never personally use black, trashy is more than just nail color, it will be many parts of the outfit.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    while I never personally use black, trashy is more than just nail color, it will be many parts of the outfit.
    What color do you "personally" use?

Is there something you haven't told us Fr_Chuck?

All I can say is when I see someone with black nail polish, the first thing that comes to mind are vampires.

Crazy? Maybe!

The thing is, most of the time, the black nail polish goes with the black outfit, the peircings in the lip, nose, eyebrow and tongue, the tattoos and the overall "goth" look.

I have never seen black nail polish and ever considered it classy.
    llamb Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Aug 1, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Classy if you can pull it off. It goes with everything. Just don't wear alll black. And not super long black nails. If you are doubting doing all black, go with a DEEP DEEP purple/black that appears black but is really just a dark purple. OPI makes a gorgeous one called Black Tie Optional. :)
    llamb Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Aug 1, 2008, 10:24 AM
    ^Depends on your location, too. Here in Seattle, teens and middle aged women alike can pull this look off.
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    hm. I could see it potentially working. do you have long nails or short nails? Also, what's the occasion?
    I have short manicured nails, there are no chips in the polish. The occasion is work. It's business casual, but sometimes I go a little above to feel pretty!
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Orphan---I don't ever do multi colored nails. In my opinion, I do think that is ugly. I do however like french tips, but I think that is an exception.

And I live in Vancouver, Washington... so it's very hippish in my area.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 01:09 PM
    With work sometimes you have to check their policies. Some places do have policies on nail polish and what jewelry is and isn't acceptable.
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 01:10 PM
    They don't... Just as long as I don't have crazy colored hair, visible tattoos or piercings, and dress business casual then I'm fine.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 1, 2008, 01:15 PM
    What's interesting is that this is ssuch a fad right now and not only for the rockers or the goth type kids. I have seen so many using the black polish. Even young hollywood. I don't understand it myself. I think it's weird. But to each his own
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Why do you think it's weird?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Orphan---I don't ever do multi colored nails. In my personal opinion, I do think that is ugly. I do however like french tips, but I think that is an exception.

And I live in Vancouver, Washington....so it's very hippish in my area.
    Like you said it's down to personal choice,most people have plain nails with french tips.
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Eh. Works on some people. Doesn't work for some.

Personally, black nail polish doesn't really work on me... perhaps it's because I'm a guy... or because I just don't wear the right jeans. Who knows?

Ps - this "being feminine thing" is kind of... weird. Can I stop now? Can I go eat some red meat and start hammering stuff around my apartment?
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Aw, ISF, you are so feminine! Go nail some stuff in your apartment :P
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Will do.

1. eat red meat... cooked RARE
    2. rent jack hammer from home depot
    3. blast heavy metal and go at my wall at 3am.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black Nail Polish [ 9 Answers ]

Hello there, I have a question that I have asked many people, and depending on the person, they respond differently. This is purely opinion apparently. Do you think black nail polish is tacky or classy? I mean nice manicured nails painted black. No chipping polish or bitten nails. ...

Nail polish [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter has a short black and white trim dress for prom. Turquoise open toe shoes and matching jewelry to shoes. What color nail polish/lipstick would look best with this?

90's Movie Cover black and white hands clasped, one with red nail polish [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old now and I huge movie fanatic. I remember walking through the video store as a child and seeing this movie box with the picture of a black and white hand clasped on the cover. I think one hand had red nail polish, I was just trying to figure out what movie that was if anyone...

Choosing lipstich & nail polish [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have an outfit for the wedding I spoke about previously. I have a (metallic) gold skirt and a black top. Now I'm wondering how to choose the correct color lipstick and nail polish. I am 56 years old, so I'm not a teenager. LOL I'd appreciate any suggestions! Cubfan23

View more questions Search