Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eminemloverx3 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Mar 2, 2014, 09:28 AM
    Drinking problem
    Hi, I'm 17. I'm going out every weekend drinking or out drinking with my friends. I always drink vodka that's really the only drink I drink and I drink quite a lot of it when I am drinking. Anyway, I was off from school for a week and I went out on a Friday drinking, and didn't stop till about 10am the next day. I drank again that Saturday with no sleep. I started to get really bad pains in my legs but I kept drinking and the pain went. I guess it went because I was drunk. I drank again then on the Wednesday and everything was fine, no pains or anything but then I drank the next day I had a glass then I got horrible pains in my shoulder area. The pain was unbelievable. I was in tears.

I haven't drank in 10 days so I tried to have a little glass last night. I got a weird feeling in my arm so I stopped. I'm wondering does anyone know what this is? Am I'm going to have to deal with it for the rest of my life? Sorry it's so long
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 2, 2014, 09:52 AM
    If you keep on drinking then yes you are going to have to deal with it for the rest of your life, until you start having heart problems and liver disease. Alcohol is a killer and if I were you, even at your young age, join Alcoholic Anonymous and get some help before the vodka takes you down.

Get checked out by your doctor to get diagnosed for the pain.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 2, 2014, 09:59 AM
    Sounds like it's slowly killing you already.

If only I could show you my sister and what alcohol has done to her...she's 50 now but she can't walk more than 5 steps anymore...can't drive...can't do many things. She has very little use of her legs now. Simply put, her mind doesn't communicate correctly with her muscles anymore and she has the shakes and uncontrollable muscle spasms. Alcohol destroyed her. Sure, when you're young you don't think about it and you're indestructible...eventually you will pay for it and it sounds like you may already be starting.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 2, 2014, 10:31 AM
    Check this out and at least be informed of what you are dealing with.

For Teens
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2014, 11:58 AM
    What many alcoholics (and drug abusers) don't realize is how much shorter their lives will be. And if they beat the average and live a little longer they see their drinking buddies disappear because the friends weren't so lucky. If not already, you will get into the drinking/driving loop, which may shorten your life (even more) and the lives of others possibly. Maybe you get to go through alcohol withdrawal in a prison cell. There are no positives. Get some help now. It will get much harder every day you wait.

Mar 3, 2014, 01:31 PM
    Liver damage
    Hi I'm 17 years old and I seemed to have damaged my liver from drinking I got real bad pains in my legs from drinking one night and then a few nights after I got unbelievable pains in my arms when I finished my first glass Ives topped drinking since then and it's been nearly 2 weeks I'm just wondering if I can do anything to help speed up the process of my liver healing or if anyone knows what this Is called when this happens any help will be great thanks x
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2014, 01:38 PM
    Nope... that takes time... a LOT of time. A lot more than two weeks in any case.

Incidentally... where did you get the idea you damaged your liver? Medical exams, tests and MRI?. or some high school know it alls?

Mar 3, 2014, 01:40 PM
    Well I drink a lot and I've been looking up stuff and since I got serious pains in my shoulder from drinking a glass of alcohol I've damaged my liver in some way.. Would water or vitamins help my liver heal though ?
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2014, 01:44 PM
    Then I'd give you 99.9999% odds it's NOT liver damage... no possible way can you self diagnose this or most things internal online. Not without medical training, tand he correct diagnostic tests.

If you need to know what it is.. see a doctor... you are looking at the wrong possibilities.

Mar 3, 2014, 01:47 PM
    Oh really.. Cause I took a few sups of alcohol a few days again and I could feel a weird feeling in the same places s last time and everything I look it up I get the same thing about my liver I may not have damaged it but there must be something wrong.. I can't really afford to go to the doctors right now but have you heard of anything like this before or anything ?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Mar 3, 2014, 01:48 PM
    You're not even close to being qualified to diagnose anything other than a common cold and I am not even sure about that. The secret is, neither am I. See your doctor. It could be much worse.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2014, 01:51 PM
    I agree with Craven find the money and see a doctor... it might be nothing... it might be something important... but unless you were drinking methanol or something really dumb (things not meant for human consumption)... it takes a lot of drinking over a long period to permanently damage your liver... it doesn't happen quickly from a few drinks.

Mar 3, 2014, 01:56 PM
    I have been drinking for a long period though I've drank nearly every single weekend in the past 2 years now and I had a week off work so I drank loadssss that week and that's when the pains began I'll try my best to go to the doctors just going to be awhile before I can go that's why I wrote up on this to see if anyone had an knowledge on what was happening thanks for the help though x
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2014, 01:58 PM
    Guesses have absolutely no value... and without seeing at a minimum of a full blood workup... nobody, not even a doctor can make a guess on liver function.

That costs less than your average monthly cell phone bill.....if you have a cheap plan.

Mar 3, 2014, 01:59 PM
    Okay thanks everyone
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 3, 2014, 02:15 PM
    Two common conditions arise from drinking: dehydration and later, nutritional deficiencies. After years: liver damage, unless for some remote chance you had liver problems to begin with.

Start with dehydration, one of the silliest things people inflict on themselves and end up faint, weak, dizzy, and sore. DRINK WATER or watered down juices.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2014, 02:50 PM
    From yesterday's post about the same general problems: You said- "I haven't drank in 10 days so I tried to have a little glass last night."
    You have all these worries about your drinking habits and pains in arms, legs, now liver suspicions, but you found the time to have "a liitle glass last night".
    You are an alcoholic. You may have become dependent with two years of steady drinking or you may have addiction problems, but you are an alcoholic if you have truthfully described your problems, and assuming that you have been sober when you wrote your two questions.

You could also have medical problems occurring coincidentally or simultaneously, related to alcohol or maybe not.

You need to talk to a physician and tell the physician the entire story. Start with the medical symptoms and the Dr. will probably ask how much alcohol you consume as part of general history, but if he/she doesn't bring it up- you must. As I told you on the other post, you may be experiencing your last chance here before you start off on your shortened life journey.
    And the medical symptoms could be psychosomatic:
    (of a physical illness or other condition) caused or aggravated by a mental factor such as internal conflict or stress.

The Dr. will know how to sort through all that.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 3, 2014, 03:56 PM
    The threads have been merged so that all the symptoms and advice is one place.

I think it is time for a check up and not trying to self-diagnose or have people on the internet give you a diagnosis.

How long have you been drinking as much as you do/did?

Mar 3, 2014, 04:53 PM
    I've been drinking vodka every weekend since I turned 16 I drank a lot when I was younger too but even more when I turned 16

Mar 3, 2014, 04:55 PM
    My friends drinks around the same but not quite as much as me but she's never developed any problem like I'm having with the pain in my shoulder

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Alcoholic son problem with binge drinking [ 40 Answers ]

I have a alcoholic son. When he drinks he become functionless. He is a binge drinker. He can not work. I am trying to help him. Nothing is working. What should I do to help him. Should I kick him out? Please let me know my options.

A friend with a serious drinking problem wants to apply for his driver's license. [ 10 Answers ]

He is eligible, but he drinks all day, everyday, and there is never even ten minutes when he doesn't smell of alcohol. Won't he be subject to a drunk in public charge if he appears at the DMV office, never mind tries to take a driving road test?

Tenant with a drinking problem... [ 6 Answers ]

A friend who is a functioning alcoholic wants to rent my apartment. She would be a great tenant in all other ways other than her excessive drinking. She only drinks at home and doesn't cause a problem in that regard. My concern is that I do not want to be responsible or liable for her if she falls...

17 with a drinking problem [ 10 Answers ]

I don't really know why I'm on here asking for help. I have a problem but I don't want to stop, yet I realize I'm damaging myself and maybe I need some advice. I was depressed for about 5 months. It was horrible. Therapy did not help at all and I felt hopeless. About a month ago, I started opening...

I think my dog has a drinking problem... [ 3 Answers ]

Our Basset Hound puppy won't stop drinking water when he has it available to him. It doesn't matter how much he's had, he just keeps drinking until it's gone, and his belly swells up like a watermelon until he pees it all out. How do we get him to stop? Thanks for the help. -B

View more questions Search