Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nitefoll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2004, 06:56 AM
    Loss of pressure in bathroom shower
    Hi All

Need help. The electric shower in my bathroom has recently had a severe drop in water pressure, so much so that it is no more than a trickle of water now.

I have checked the plumbing and there doesn't appear to be any breaks, leaks or blockages. Every other tap in the house has normal pressure. The water is heating up no problem.

Do electric showers having a pump units fitted or do they rely on water pressure?

It is a Gainsbourgh model that was installed roughly 6 months ago.

Any help, at all, would be great thanks.

nitefoll
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2004, 05:53 AM
    Electric shower
    Electric showers have nothing to do with pumps or pressure. Electric showers preheat the cold water with a heating element. Try this, unscrew the shower head and turn the water on. If you get a full stream then the shower head's clogged. If the shower head has a small black wafer with holes around the edges then it's equipped with a "water saver". Pry it out and toss it for a better flow. Let me know how you make out. Are you located in England or New Zealand? Cheers, Tom
    nitefoll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2004, 11:57 AM
    Hi Tom

Thanks for the response. I'm in the UK.

I've unscrewed the shower head and unscrewed the hose from the shower unit, both are free from blockage and neither has any kind of water saver device. Both have small black rubber washers, which I would expect to find to prevent water leakage, but not enough to restrict water flow. Besides it was working fine previously.

I tested the shower with the shower head detached and water pressure is still poor, enough so that I am able to stop the water flow with my thumb.

Q: Are electric showers normally connected to hot or cold feeds?
    -Mines is connected to cold, which I think is correct.

Q: Are electric showers normally connected to a water tank or directly to the cold water main feed?
    - I think mines is connected to the main cold water feed, as I don't hear the water tank filling after I test the shower.

Model: Gainsborourgh 9.5 Delux
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2004, 08:00 AM
    Electric Shower
    I went into the manufactures web site but could not pull the technical data I required. While I can't be specific I can give you a general idea of what to look for. You have a one handle control and that means a cartridge is involved. That's where I would check first. Shut the water/electricity off and open up the valve. Remove the cartridge and check the inlet port for clogs or blockage and replace if necessary. Before you reassemble turn on the water and flush the supply line out through the open valve body, note the volume of water. You should have a full stream.). Now, reassemble and test. Your electric shower connects to the cold water supply, (feed) and not the hot water line or the tank. Good luck and let me know what you find. Regards, Tom
    Carl Super-Hooper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 10:39 AM
    I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same model of shower - is this a known problem with this shower that can be easily fixed?

Any info would be appreciated!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loss of Pressure [ 7 Answers ]

I recently made two changes and am not sure if the two are related. First, I changed both elements in my hot water heater which, unfortunately, didn't give me any additional hot water. Second, I changed my kitchen sink from one with a single handle to one with separate handles for hot and cold. ...

Loss of water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Here's the deal: Have seen a slow but sure loss of hot water pressure in the five plus years we have been in the house. Water source is a well, so lime and minerals are likely to blame. Pipes are copper. Water is heated through the furnace, a Smith (Westcast) 8 Series boiler-burner unit. We...

Loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I realize this question has been asked before but the proposed solutions have not corrected my problem. I have recenly renovated my kitchen and have added an island which includes my sink and dishwasher. After the plumbing had been connected, I noticed a considerable reduction in the...

Low pressure in my upstairs bathroom shower [ 7 Answers ]

I need some help. My bathroom on the 2nd floor has very little hot water pressure in the sink and shower... I cleaned out the screens and had my hot water heater flushed... any ideas?

Loss of pressure in shower [ 4 Answers ]

We recently bought a home and a few weeks after we moved in the water pressure in the shower went crazy. Sometimes it happens less than a minute after you turn on the shower; at other times, you can make it through your shower without any problems. There is a sound like a "thunk," then the water...

View more questions Search