Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gina2616 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Black hair tint
    Have dyed black hair, original colour dark brown and have VERY resistant grey.Use Clairol professional black with 10 vol. peroxide. For years the colour has been running out of my hair,staining my clothes with black streaks, all this happening even after 4 weeks of not colouring. So, figuring the cuticle on my hair is staying closed and not accepting colour, I have now begun to wear a plastic cap after putting tint on, applying heat to head (yes, I know this is probably not a very healthy idea) and THAT seems to be working. It was to the point the roots weren't even accepting the dye. Now, this is PERMANENT hair dye, not semi-perm.
    Any ideas? The tint does not even penetrate unless I do the plastic cap-heat thing. Bear in mind I am going DARKER, not lighter, covering resistant grey. I am not crazy about applying heat to my head with permanent dye on.
    Thanks for any help-
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 27, 2006, 02:03 AM
    Gina, gray hair is one of the most color resistant types of hair. The key to coloring gray hair is softening hair so it doesn’t appear as course. This will help open the hair cuticle so color is more easily accepted on the hair shaft. One way to do this is by applying a 20% solution of peroxide to gray hair. You can leave the solution on for up to ten minutes. Once this step is complete, normally you can apply any color you like.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I fade my black hair dye? [ 36 Answers ]

The day before yesterday I dyed my hair black. My natural hair color is dark brown and I like my hair really dark, but the black is a bit well... black :( . I want to fade it a bit and make it tone down a little faster. I have heard that washing your hair with Prell shampoo and putting hot...

Black Hair [ 8 Answers ]

I have long, thick, curly hair, which is naturally a honey blonde colour. I've had it black for the past 2 years or so, and I've decided I'd really like something different. Basically, I would like to have the top half of my hair still black, and the bottom half an electric blue or hot pink...

HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair [ 42 Answers ]

Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it. I naturally have dark...

Dying your hair black [ 17 Answers ]

I'm considering dying my hair black but I've heard that it's unhealthy in some ways. I was wonderinf if any of you know if it's harmful?

From black to brown hair again [ 3 Answers ]

Which is more effective, Colorfix or Color Zap and which is more gentle to the hair? Thanks, Maureen :confused:

View more questions Search