Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woodyp20 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2011, 11:54 PM
    Sales of computer function problem
    The sales of a new model of notebook computer are approximated by: s(x)
    = 5000-13000e^-x/9 , where x represents the number of months the computer has been on the market and S represents sales in thousands of dollars. In how many months will the sales reach $2,600,000?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 07:16 AM

I assume you mean this formula:

You need to rearrange this to get x by itself. One concept to remember is that the inverse of the exponential function e^x is the natural logarithm, ln(x). Thus if A = e^b, then b = ln A. Other than that little trick the rest is straightforward algebra. Try it, and post back with what you get.
    woodyp20 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 10:34 PM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    I'm still confused with the inverse, could you set it up for me so I can see how its done?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 18, 2011, 07:17 AM

I'll give you an example of a similar problem - that way you can see how it's done and then apply the same technique to this problem.

Suppse you have:

Its inverse is found by getting the x variable all by itself:

1. Subtract 10 from both side:

2. Divide both sides by -3:

3. Now take the natural log of both sides:

4. Since , this means:

5. Divide by -2:

So now if you are given a value for y, you can determine the corresponding value of x. For example - suppose y = 4; then:

Hope this helps - can you apply this same technique to your problem?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A problem that doesn't make sense- a linear cost function [ 4 Answers ]

Please help me, I am getting only negative answers that I think are absolutely wrong. This problem has five parts: Jill starts a business of manufacturing custom seat cushions for large trucks. She determines that the fixed cost is $1,375 and unit cost is $22. She sells each cushion for $49.95....

Problem solving involving linear function [ 1 Answers ]

The cost of food for a school party is partly constant and partly depends on the number of students. For 95 students ,the cost 5,652.50 ,and for 44 students ,it is 3,272.50. Find the cost for 48 students .express the cost of food as a function of the number of students.

View more questions Search