Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debodun Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2014, 12:53 PM
    Toilet keeps running after flush
    I had a shut-off valve installed on the toilet so I don't have to run down in the cellar to shut off the main line. After the handyman installed it and we did a test flush, the tank refilled much more slowly that before. He said that because I have very rusty galvanized iron intake pipes, some rust could have broken off and partially clogged the float cup valve in the tank. A few more flushes and it seeemd like it was back to normal filling speed. It worked fine for a week, then today when I flushed, the water kept running in the tank. I took the top off the tank and jiggled the float cup valve and pressed down on the arm, but it didn't stop. I closed the shut-off valve and flushed until,the tank was almost empty, then turned on the water again. This time the water shut off at the proper time, but I noticed that the arm on the float cup valve didn't snap back like it usually does; it just lind of "eased" up. This float cup valve is only about a year and a half old. Should I get a new one, or did having the shut-off valve installed affect the float cup? I noticed that after the shut-off valve was installed, the intake hose is curled (see photo) there's now only 8 inches between the top of the shut-off and the bottom of the toilet tank. Could this affect anything?
    Name:  toilet fill.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  95.5 KB
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2014, 02:44 PM
    Which ball cock is yours? Back to you, Tom
    Attached Images

Apr 22, 2014, 02:44 AM
    The one on the left.

Apr 22, 2014, 06:47 AM
    Attachment 45951
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 22, 2014, 08:34 AM
    Thanks. Have you set the float cup so it shuts off 1/2" under the white overflow tube? There is no seepage from the flapper, correct? Tom

Apr 23, 2014, 05:02 AM
    It usually shuts off the water well below the overflow tube. I don't think there's any problem with the flapper. My flapper is not a rubber disc I see in most photos of toilet innards. It's like a plastic cone that fits over the flush valve.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 05:46 AM
    I would sure take care of that kinked feed hose, shorten or straighten it for sure. In addition the 400A float valve(?) may be sticking, and can be cleaned by removing the entire float valve assyembly with the water off, and cleaned with a little soap and vinegar. A good idea would be to open the shut off valve with the line disconnected and flush into a bucket and observe what you get.

How to Clean a Fluidmaster 400 | eHow

How to Troubleshoot a Fluidmaster | eHow

Apr 23, 2014, 06:13 AM
    I'm not sure how to straighten the feed hose - it the shortest one (12") and the distance from the top of the shut-off to the bottom of the tank is 8".
    Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 07:01 AM
    Shop around at Ace, Home Depot or Loews or any supply shop, and get a shorter hose, or a longer one, or a fitting for the shut off valve that changes the direction of the hose to get the kink out and allows free flow of the water. Most service guys are knowledgeable about such things and you may have options once the problem is explained to them.

Bet a shorter line is available. Take a look, ONLINE if you wish. I used tubing cut to fit instead of a flexible line.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 23, 2014, 07:38 AM
    Does the kink in the supply line cause any problems? Reset the float cup up to where the water level is 1/2" under the top of the white overflow tube. Let me know if it helps. Good luck, Tom
    Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 07:43 AM
    I agree do the simplest things first.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 08:50 AM
    Clean the fill valve washer of sediment (see video below). Note here that the video shows the replacement of the washer, but you should only need to clean the washer, purge the valve of sediment and then replace the washer and be done with this:

The flexible supply tube is not kinked and is not the problem, so just leave that alone...;)

Mark

Apr 23, 2014, 09:24 AM
    I don't think the supply line is the problem. The water enters the tank just as quickly as it before the valve installation. The problem is in the float cup if the shut off valve.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 23, 2014, 02:05 PM
    Everyone agrees that the problem is at the "float cup" of the FILL VALVE. Watch the video I posted and see if you understand what needs to be done!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet only seems to flush completely down about everyother to evry third flush [ 1 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, it only flushes completely down every other flush to every third flush, how can I fix this?

Toilet flush: When I flush the toilet the water does not wash all around the bowl. [ 10 Answers ]

Toilet flush: When I flush the toilet the water does not wash all around the bowl. There is always a section at the front that doesn't get washed. I have tried pushing the end of a wire coat hanger around the rim, and I have used copious amounts of cleaner. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet flush cause howling sound after flush [ 2 Answers ]

AFter flushing the toilet, there is a howling sound. If I turn the water on when it starts the noise stops. This is only occurring in one of the 3 bathrooms.

First Flush of Toilet does NOT work right BUT second flush works great? [ 4 Answers ]

We have 2 toilets and both have the same problem. The first flush does NOT work right and will NOT flush completely, water rises and then goes back down. The second flash works GREAT? We have plunged and clean out all blow or jet holes NOthiNG is plugged? Short of double water bills and the...

View more questions Search