Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pntdhrse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 12:52 PM
    I own a rental house, my tenants are getting a divorce.
    He wants out of lease saying since wife had an affair with me, the lease should be void. Is there any law for this?
    House is in Jackson county, Kansas.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2012, 12:55 PM
    He's wrong... unless there was a "no affairs with the landlord" clause written into the lease.

I assume there wasn't.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 01:03 PM
    While as issue, you do not have to let him out of the lease. But the divorce court may hold him harmless for rent if you are one of the named parties in divorce action.

Also as a business side of things, not sure how the rental business or life will be if it goes publr that you were sleeping with a renters wife and then demanded he stay in your rental unit.

If you were sleeping with his wife, let him out of the lease.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 3, 2012, 01:40 PM
    This was asked in a LAW forum so I'll just say... if you go to the time and expense of taking him to court, I can see the looks on the faces of the judge and court, and I can hear the verdict, and it won't be worth it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2012, 01:44 PM
    Have you heard the classic definition of "chutzpah"? Its where a person murders his parents and throws himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan.

Well this is a new one. Legally there are no grounds to not hold him responsible. Morally and ethically, you are very wrong to try to do so. Housing courts and small claims courts tend to be less formal and will go more with the spirit of the law than the letter. I would not want to go to court with this.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Have you heard the classic definition of "chutzpah"? Its where a person murders his parents and throws himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan.

Well this is a new one. Legally there are no grounds to not hold him responsible. Morally and ethically, you are very wrong to try to do so. Housing courts and small claims courts tend to be less formal and will go more with the spirit of the law than the letter. I would not want to go to court with this.
    I don't believe OP has said that he actually had sex with the tenant's wife. He is merely saying that is what tenant is claiming.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to know rights for tenants who must leave house. [ 2 Answers ]

We have been renting a house for about 2 yrs now, and now the house is being sold by the bank. How much time am I legally allowed to stay in the house until I'm forced to look for another place to live? Is there anywhere I can look to for help and get legal assistance?

Tenants house being sold [ 2 Answers ]

I am a tenant whose townhouse is being sold by the owner/landlord in NY. We were notified 3 days before the sign went up in the front yard. We were initially told that we could pick specific days that we would be available and would receive 24 hours notice or reasonable notice... we have two dogs...

I am selling a rental home with tenants [ 2 Answers ]

I am selling a rental home and the new owners are two of the three present tenants. They want the third one out when I sell it to the other two. What do I need to do as the present owner in a notification that I am selling the property? I am in the state of KY. Thank you!

Rental House - Tenants Rights [ 6 Answers ]

I rent a single family house in New Jersey, the owner lives in another town, can she increase my rent any percentage she wants to or is there a law that governs rental increase practices for my type of rental. We are on a month to month lease for the past 18 years never had a written lease ever -...

View more questions Search