Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 23, 2006, 03:44 AM
    Who is your favorite author?
    Who is your favorite author.

What kind of books do you like to read.

Mine are William W Johnstone and Louis Lamour.

Western novels
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 23, 2006, 03:57 AM
    Wow, tough question since I could make a very very long list here. I tend to read all over the map and sometimes several books are "going" at the same time (not read silmultaneously though :D )

If I had to pick the book that has made the biggest impression on my thoughts so far... it would have to be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Who is John Galt? :p

But some favourite books are also from childhood, and mostly for the gorgeous illustrations in them like The Golden Book of Fairy Tales illustrated by Adrienne Segur, which is still in print I understand.

Good Question, Demon!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 23, 2006, 04:08 AM
    I haven't read fiction in many years, but a couple of my favorites when I did were

Michael Crighton (science related fiction but not really "science fiction")
    Allan W. Eckert (based on historical events)
    Stephen King (I was a big fan and even have a handwritten answer to one of my fan letters from him!)

Lately, I'm on an Ian Wilson kick. (archaeology and history). Have read 3 of his books over the past couple months.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 04:45 AM
    Mildrid D Taylor - Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry
    Margaret Atwood - The Handmaids Tale
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

May 23, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Michael Palin,Dan Cruickshank,Terry Jones,Michael Wood.All travel,and history writers.Their DVD's,and books,are easily found worldwide.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2006, 09:59 AM
    For me too, this is a hard question to answer. I have so many favorites and I read so many different genres.

If I had pick a specific book that had the most influence on me, I can easily name The Great Imposter by Robert Crichton. This was a biography of Ferdinand DeMara. This book very literally changed my life.

As to favorite genres, I read sci-fi, action, mysteries, political and historical novels among others. Favorite authors include Heinlein, Asimov, Clancy, Ludlum, Follet, Stout, Parker, Grafton, Drury among others.

May 24, 2006, 12:30 AM
    I also Like Jk Rowling
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 03:25 PM
    My favorite changes all the time. I tend to go through phases where I read everything by an author and then get sick of them and move on. As others have mentioned, Stephen King, Margaret Atwood, and Michael Crichton are previous favorites of mine. Right now I am into Agatha Christie, as I never read anything of hers before. Some of my all time favorite authors though (who I never get sick of) are Anthony Burgess, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Isaac Asimov.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 24, 2006, 03:42 PM
    By far Dean Koontz
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 24, 2006, 03:43 PM
    I know what you mean about wearing some of them out Chava! Lately I have been reading and rereading a very short, very sweet kid's book called "Guess How Much I Love You". Anyone else heard of it?

I am undoubtedly going to wear it out, but for the moment... it just sends me! :p :D :)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 03:49 PM
    Hmmm that book sounds familiar... who is the author and illustrator? My favorite kid's books are the Dr. Seuss ones, and also "Good Night Moon", "Where the Wild Things Are", "Harold and the Purple Crayon", and the Arthur series and Little Critter series. I read TONS of kids books now haha, with having the kids around.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 24, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Haven't done a lot of book reading since this dog gone computor got my attention but Steven King was my favorite and loved the movies too!I like the sci-fis and westerns and Jon Carter of Mars series.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 24, 2006, 03:55 PM
    OMG Good Night Moon!! That is my little one's favorite
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

May 24, 2006, 08:14 PM
    I don't read all that much, I mean I enjoy reading GOOD books, but for me it's hard to find one I classify as good. I can really only think of one author who has changed the way I view the world, J.D. Salinger. I loved catcher in the rye, so much I went out and bought all of his books and read them all. They are so insightful, and his outlook on religion is one that I have never seen before. Also, I really enjoy his style of writing, I like how he writes his books in a stream of conscience kind of way, also I would like to mention another author, not necessarily a writer, but a poet. Robert Frost. I adore his work and I have all of his poems and I think he also has a great out look on life and it's inspiring to read his work.
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

May 24, 2006, 08:39 PM
    I like Tom Clancy.

May 24, 2006, 10:06 PM
    I would recommend The Lonesome Gods by Louis Lamour
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 24, 2006, 11:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    I know what you mean about wearing some of them out Chava! Lately I have been reading and rereading a very short, very sweet kid's book called "Guess How Much I Love You". Anyone else heard of it?

I am undoubtedly going to wear it out, but for the moment... it just sends me! :p :D :)

That is absolutely a cute book.

Yeah, with the house remodel and the wild 2 year old, these days all I read are the little people books. Just tonight we read chicka chicka boom boom, birthday monsters, and hand hand fingers thumb.

Oh well. My dusty friends will still be there in the library when I get a chance to say hello again.

I think the last books I read were the red tent, lamb (story of jesus as told by his childhood friend biff, absolutely funny), and some painful fiction novel I hated but had to read to the end to see if it ever got better. Bleh.
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

May 26, 2006, 05:08 PM
    I am a fan of Piers Anthony, Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, and Robert Jordan. I really enjoy books of fantasy and magic.
    Cynic Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2006, 09:06 PM
    Steve Niles...
    jep1982 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2006, 01:05 PM
    My favorite author of all time is Janet Evanovich! She has a great series I've gotten into and am currently waiting for the 12th book!

Generally, my choice leans towards Courtroom/Lawyer Suspense, Murder Mystery, and an occasional Romance novel with some interesting plots. I also am a huge fan of Real Life Murder Cases... I can thank my Mom for this since she went back to school at 38 and majored in Criminal Justice.:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unknown Title or Author [ 10 Answers ]

I remember reading a book when I was around 11 about siblings whose parents die (I think) and the oldest (sister) is afraid of being separated, so they go on the run from authorities. She tries to keep them all fed and finds eggs to be the cheapest food to buy. Eventually they are found/caught...

Can you name this author? [ 3 Answers ]

This author is a retired police officer. He has written at least two crime thrillers. I think they were published in the last 4-8 years. I seem to remember that they came onto the market at the same time as Linda Fairsteins first 2 books. I can't recall the names of any of the characters in the...

Author/Title unknown [ 1 Answers ]

I read a novel years ago, where the story concerned a group of plane crash survivors who used scrap material from a nearby abandoned mine to construct medieval type weapons (trebuchet, crossbows, etc), to prevent a local militia from crossing a river to capture them. I initially believed it was...

Do you now the author and song title? [ 2 Answers ]

I remember only the middle of the song: "And I wana fall through the stars Stright into your arms ..... .....feel love I hope you comprehend" Thank you for any help. :)

View more questions Search