Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brisamarina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2003, 09:52 AM
    Study of foreign languages in the 18th century
    I'm doing a paper on Gulliver's Travels for university and I would appreciate if you could help me with this question:
    Did people in the 18th century give any importance to the learning of a foreign language? Was it a normal practice to learn a foreign language?
    I am particularly interested in what happened in England.
    Thanks a lot.
    Blackkdark Posts: 59, Reputation: 3

Jun 27, 2009, 08:23 AM

Um, YES. The term Philology comes from the 18th century. They were taught languages all over the place. There were also less translations of things, save from Ancient Greek or Latin, so. Though most of the linguistic studies happened in the 19th century with the Jacob Grimm and such.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

99 Buick Century rough idel [ 1 Answers ]

My 99 Buick idles slow, service engine soon light.. stayes on, car seemes to run OK, under power , just idles slow and engine runs rough at idle is there anything I can check or replace myself thanks ssg:

Learning Spanish, French and German Languages [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me easiest way of learning languages, mainly; Mandarin, Tamil and Bahasa Melayu? I have my friends with who I can communicate. But still I want some black and white teachings. French, German and Spanish languages are also needed... Thanks for your kind attention...

Learning languages proficiently... [ 2 Answers ]

Is that possible to learn languages fast? If there is any expert who knows how to learn smoothly but quickly, please recommend me with some methods. I am in Malaysia and thus I am mixing around with the people who speak some languages such as Bahasa Malaya, Mandarin (chinese), Tamil, Punjabi,...

View more questions Search