Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raym Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2006, 06:29 PM
    3 way switches
    I have a light on the ceiling and two switches each at opposite sides of the room to control the light. The switches have worked fine for 20 some years but now the one switch when off will not let the other switch turn the light on. I have replaced both switches but still have the same problem. Any ideas??
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 15, 2006, 09:23 PM
    Either one of the new switches is bad and/or they got rewired wrong.
    Wolf Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2006, 02:38 PM
    I agree with tkrussell.
    It sounds like 1 switch went bad and when they were changed 1 or both got wired wrong.
    If that is not the case than 1 of the new switches is bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switches [ 1 Answers ]

Here is a strange one. I am visiting my father, and he recently replaced an outlet in one bedroom and now the light switch no longer works. He didn't touch the switch at all. Here is the really odd part... now the same problem is in the adjoining bedroom. However, they are on different...

How to join two 3-way switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have a balcony with overhead lights between two 3-way switches. I also have another 3-way switch that operates lights to the stairs. Presently there are two switches side-by-side that operate the balcony lights and the stair lights. Question: Is it possible to join theses two switches...

Three way switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to wire three way switches with multiple light between them. I have 12/2 from the panel to the first switch then 12/3 through all the lights. At the last light I switched the common and neutral to supply power to the end switch. From the first switch I can control all lights (5...

Receptical and switches [ 5 Answers ]

When purchasing recepticals and switches what price range should I be looking at. I have seen 10 packs at home depot for about $5. Im sure they are not the best choice only being about .50 a piece. I am using them for residential.

Switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lite at the top of the stairs with one switch for it at the top. I want to and a secong switch at the bottom of the stairs. I believe the incoming power it at the switch (top of stairs) How do I add a second swich to control lite?

View more questions Search